PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Layback

John Waters
Answers: 0

Re: Layback

Post by John Waters »

For those interested in alternative learning strategies to use when learning throwing, tossing, casting etc., which do not engage the spirit world or use a visually and externally focused image of an attractive girl performing stretching routines (I hesitate to explore the latter more fully, given the two meanings of the verb "tossing"), some research data may be of interest.

In a paper studying the linear momentum response to stride length in overhead throwing, the data found "that throwing arm momentum exhibited similar profiles with peaks coincident with maximum external shoulder rotation". For those fly casters and instructors seeking real world relevance to such a finding whilst studying another sport, may I proffer the following opinion.

Stride length equates to body weight shifting using either small or large step when fly casting.
Shoulder rotation is a key element of the casting stroke because transferring momentum from the body to the rod and line is a determinant of the speed , shape and direction the loop exhibits as it moves forward.
As referred to in the Teaching Forum, layback is external shoulder rotation, hence I would suggest that your casting arm momentum and the benefits that flow from that, does reflect the range of layback you generate.

In saying the above, I acknowledge some flyfishers, like me, only fish small streams, but I thought it may be of interest to some.
I also acknowledge that achieving maximum layback requires the recruitment of other body segment activity, but I've covered that elsewhere.

Anyway, enough of my ramblings on this thread. Good topic though, maybe it should be a subject in the Teaching Forum (just a thought :whistle: )

John
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: Layback

Post by Paul Arden »

Thank you John. That certainly gives me something to explore. I will experiment. 👍
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Casting Sport”