PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

6 piece salmon rod suggestions

Moderators: Viking Lars, Magnus

Tangled
Answers: 0

Re: 6 piece salmon rod suggestions

Post by Tangled »

For what it's worth I use a 13'3" Loop Cross ST #8 (31g, 475gn) 6 piece. It was recommended to me by Sea Trout expert Stephan Jones. It's been all over the world with me, I wouldn't change it.
sms

Post by sms »

It is not even close to high end, but I have been impressed with Shakespeare Oracle EXP 13’9” #8. It is really 13’6”. I’ve caught decent salmon from flooding big river running 2000m3/s and ~5kg bluefin trevally in Indonesia (overhead casting from shore). It has seen a good beating. A really good rod that works with large scale of lines.
Since this rod has been so good, I bought its bigger brother, 14’9” #10. Second section from the butt broke from the female ferrule after 15 minutes or so salmon fishing (trying tugging to release the fly from a rock). Got a new part from warranty. Had it with me in February when visiting Cape Verde. Used it in similar manner as the little beother in Indonesia. Broke again from the second section female ferrule.
So, the 13’9” is really good and the 14’9” is something to stay clear from. There are still some available if you are ready to ”downgrade” your thoughts. There is 2nd generation nowadays too, but sdon’t know about them.

As with any TH, you need to check and tighten the ferrules now and then.
I'm here just for the chicks.

-Sakke
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

I’m no expert but I do enjoy casting the Epic DH13 I built. I use it to teach with as well.

Cheers, Graeme
FFi CCI
bartdezwaan

Post by bartdezwaan »

Thanks for the tips all.
I decided to not be a sucker.
If a world champion spey casters advices a rod for 1/10 of the price of some of the others, I would be stupid not to give it a try.
I just ordered the Shakespeare 😀

Cheers, Bart

Return to “Tackle”