PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Sedotti demo

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Michal Duzynski
Answers: 0

Re: Sedotti demo

Post by Michal Duzynski »

Here is another cast, I'm estimate this cast for around 80 -90 feet.
The line was old Rio Tarpon Taper 50' head. As I can't have too much line out while we approach the Tuna casting consists slide during pick up, shoot forward- shoot back - deliver.
I like the OBS type lines, and I don't think about them in criteria of super over weight, but on the rocky boat less false casting better.
In that video you can see that casting arc widens with more line, and here I could let myself for more as the fly was a small surf candy.
Ciao
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Michal Duzynski wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 2:13 am Hi mate.
I did measure once 8wt OBS and I false cast 70' , that would be 40' of overhang.

Cheers
Hi Mike

70 feet outside the tip? Or are you saying a 70 foot carry to delivery? Overhang is rod tip to back end of backtaper.

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
SevenWeight

Post by SevenWeight »

Thanks for the replies Michael and Paul. They give me some points of reference to compare to my own measurements and what I feel. I have been using the OBS this year, sometimes one size down (#8 OBS with a #9 Sage Method), as well as the SA Tropical Titan and other brick-on-a-string lines. For me the OBS doesn't tolerate a lot of overhang on a full forward- and backcast cycle so I try to slip as much as I can into the final backcast and hope that I get the timing right. My best efforts currently using these lines with poppers and various large flies from a casting platform on the bow of my boat are about 75-80 feet (from my feet to where the fly has landed). I feel like I have potential for another 10-15 feet, but the gains need to be in the amount of line I shoot because of backcast restrictions.

Paul, looking forward to the next distance installment!

When the fishing slows down a little and I can get out by myself I'm going to post some drone footage and invite comment.
SevenWeight

Post by SevenWeight »

Michael ... thanks for the MacTuna video. This situation is very similar to what I encounter here on the Florida Gulf Coast with Jack Crevalle. They pop up in a bay or tidal river forcing bait to the surface. Besides the quick cast, the challenge is always clearing the line once the hookup is made, isn't it? I have been left fighting Jacks with only the butt section more than once because a knot made it through the first stripping guide and then took the top three sections of the rod for a ride. Several of the rod manufacturers' repair shops know me by name by now I'm sure!
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Hi Mark

The OBS is very much a shootinghead, and the short rear taper and the thin runningline doesn't go well with a longer carry. It does however shoot quite well, so its about getting the right amount of overhang, and a early release. Then it will go to the backing if linespeed is right.

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Michal Duzynski

Lasse Karlsson wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 12:50 pm
Michal Duzynski wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 2:13 am Hi mate.
I did measure once 8wt OBS and I false cast 70' , that would be 40' of overhang.

Cheers
Hi Mike

70 feet outside the tip? Or are you saying a 70 foot carry to delivery? Overhang is rod tip to back end of backtaper.

Cheers
Lasse
Hi Lasse,
It was long time ago. It could be from my hauling hand to the end of the line, the way we measure carry.
I'll see if I still have it and maybe I make another video.
Michal Duzynski

Hi Mark
Yep, line management is very important, I lost so many shots because, the coils of the line laying on the deck, did not cooperate in the most important moments, add to it my excitement and it stops at 20 feet.
....so I did this, when I go on my non fly fishing mate boat,( I've seen it once). $15 laundry hamper (it folds for easy storage and transport) it has heavy wooden bottom with 6 silicone bottle nosels sticking out. Other option is to use pvc pipe ( right diameter) with the same bottom. In the pipe you could seal the bottom, and then when on the boat put some water in it , so the line stayed lubricated and shoots better.

In that clip I cast 10wt outfit, the line is SA Sonar intermediate- I don't why this line passes me off big time.
I stretch it big time prior the trip and even when laying on the deck for a while the coils come back. I never had issues like this with Rio- anyway.....

Mark, you said 75-80feet, here
Now, this video

I talk about how the morph works. Look I'm casting Rio Leviathan 33 feet of sinking head with full clouser on it, (volume of the fly not as important as the weight. It is even worse than OBS😁
The back cast delivery looks like a very lazy casting, without much effort ( no focusing on a sharp explosive haul, stepping for wider arc and carry, etc) and it lands where I wanted on 82 feet.
So imagine where it can go when you really put some focus to the cast.

Cheers
SevenWeight

Post by SevenWeight »

Lasse Karlsson wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 4:12 pm .. The OBS is very much a shootinghead, and the short rear taper and the thin runningline doesn't go well with a longer carry. It does however shoot quite well, so its about getting the right amount of overhang, and a early release. Then it will go to the backing if linespeed is right.
Thanks Lasse. Yes, this is why I asked Michael how much he was carrying. He made several false casts in the surf fishing video, which suggested to me that he was slipping line into a fairly lengthy carry. I’m not sure what you are referring to by the term “early release.” Do you mean releasing the line early in the delivery so the head is launched at a higher trajectory for more air time?
SevenWeight

Post by SevenWeight »

Michael, thanks for the additional videos, which I study more closely tomorrow (it’s still yesterday in my time zone 😵💫). I’ll have to try the 170-style delivery on a backcast delivery.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

I have been left fighting Jacks with only the butt section more than once because a knot made it through the first stripping guide and then took the top three sections of the rod for a ride.
This is where oversized Snakes certainly helps. I don’t know why it works but turning the rod upside down, so that the rings are on top of the blank, often allows the bird’s nest to clear.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Flycasting”