PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Pop Quiz

Moderator: Lee Cummings

onyxweb
Answers: 0

Pop Quiz

Post by onyxweb »

Quick question...

What are the THREE spey/roll-type casts that can get you out of any situation: upstream/downstream wind or no back cast available?

Discuss!

Nice to be back, after a very long absence!

Hope you're all well!

Bass
Graeme H

Re: Pop Quiz

Post by Graeme H »

Snake rolls, Snap C and double Spey.

At least, those are the ones I go to most often, but I fish the salt flats and I'm concerned about wind and the particular change of direction I need.

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
Bendix

Post by Bendix »

Hi

For me it’s Single Spey/Switch Cast, Double Spey, and a regular Roll Cast.

I usually fish in an overgrown river, and I use the Single Spey/Switch Cast and the Roll Cast over both shoulders all the time, with both single and DH rods. I have only ever used the Double Spey in the few occasions I have been in Norway to fish for Salmon.

Cheers
Bendix
jarmo
Answers: 1

Post by jarmo »

Greetings.
onyxweb wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 6:16 pm What are the THREE spey/roll-type casts that can get you out of any situation: upstream/downstream wind or no back cast available?
I have not found a set of casts that would get me out of any situation, but if I had to select three casts that would get me out of most situations, here is what they would be.

The choice of the first two would be straightforward, and these are already mentioned above: double spey and snap (t/c). Those cover the main wind directions (upstream, downstream), and are more generally applicable in horrible wind conditions and with various types of lines than single spey or snake roll.

One situation not covered by these two casts is when wading out of the bank is not feasible, and obstructions make D-loop formation impossible both on the upstream and downstream side. My third choice would be a cast which sometimes solves this problem: a cast which Al Buhr calls "aerial spey." It is questionable whether this a spey cast. The cast is simply an overhead cast where backcast aligns with the river, and forward cast is directed out of the bank, with a change of direction move ("drift"?) linking the two. I have succesfully used this last cast on both brawling Arctic rivers and smaller southern streams to solve some very tricky situations. When used with a SH rod, a Galway cast variation may provide additional control. This cast does not solve the problem if there is no room on top of the river, or if the wind blows sufficiently hard towards the bank. Fortunately, on larger rivers, a 15' rod provides quite a bit of reach out of the bank.

(Next on my list would be the Perry poke for problems involving lifting or very tricky anchor / D-loop placement.)

Have fun!
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

It’s a bit of an odd question because there are five: Single Spey, Double Spey, Circle C, Snap T and Snake Roll. So long as you have an upstream and a downstream one you need only two. Since it’s “any situation” which might mean some ugly flies, then I’ll take Circle C and Double Spey.

Perhaps my third will be a Bow and Arrow Roll Cast.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
onyxweb

Post by onyxweb »

"It’s a bit of an odd question..."

I'm really delighted with all your responses, thank you.

I'm all about minimalism - kit that I take with me, when fishing, number of fly boxes etc etc - and if I can get away with practicing two casts, instead of three, then SO much the better! Thank you.
tigfly

Post by tigfly »

if you have a skagit head then a Perry poke can be used under any condition and in any direction that I can think of with restricted backcast room.

Return to “Flycasting - 2 handed”