PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Re: BFCC Kent 2023

Commenting on the Sexyloops’ Front Page
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: Re: BFCC Kent 2023

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Chris,

Great! I’d look at 3 things.

1. I would make the first backcast a blocked Open Stance Distance backcast. This just keeps the first backcast loop under control. Going straight into a 170 means that you are tying to get control over the loop, instead of starting with it under control.

2. Your back haul is inconsistent and rushed as a bounce. Haul to a straight arm and hold it straight while the loop forms. I know it’s been taught as down-up but with a long line it is down-pause-up. Accelerating to a straight hauling arm will allow you to carry more line.

2b. :p This is going to take some work but you are not sighting your back target. You should look, cast, look cast. Head should turn first, sight your target and then cast to it. That will take a few weeks to ingrain. You need to walk slightly down the tape and look back along it to find your back target. Then when you cast, sight it first.

Now I would really work on that first, ie lengthening up your carry. And that really involves firing back a long line under control. I spend 2/3rds of my time working on carry and 1/3rd working on the launch.

3. On the launch you want to drive upwards. So aim at a target above the horizontal. I look at a target 15 degrees up. To do this you must sink the back leg on the backcast, so that when you come forward your whole body is driving up. You want to twist the torso so that the rod hand is in front of the line hand (you are doing this!) and then hit it later. You are a little bit early. You want to feel that you are underneath the rod, the rod is turning over and then you launch up from the front leg to launch the rod tip over the target you see in the distance. I look up to see the top (third section) of the rod coming through to time the hit. If you hit it later, and rotate as you hit it, then you can hit it as hard as you like.

I hope that helps! It’s lots of fun :pirate:

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Slow motion

Full speed
https://youtube.com/shorts/dHqqiQWTEyk?feature=share

I think you’ll find the next 3 videos with Nick very useful. I hope so! :D

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
ChrisBaty
Answers: 0

Post by ChrisBaty »

Paul,

Really appreciate you taking the time to respond and in such detail. Cheers. I’ll start working on those points and video from time to time to give you some visual updates. It’ll also give me a better idea of if I’m getting the hang of it. I always find when I watch back on videos that often what I think I’m doing isn’t the reality of it at all, the video rarely lies. I’ve been watching the clips between you and Nick and have been enjoying them greatly. Now to start some regular practice focusing on these, I’m sure more consistent longer distances will come with time.

Cheers
Chris
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

One of the problems with looking to the backcast target, Chris, is changing what you do to look. You need to start turning the head first, before the body.

The easiest way I find to teach it is to allow the loops to fall the ground between strokes. This gives you more time, while you discover that you have more time!

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
ChrisBaty

Post by ChrisBaty »

I like that idea Paul. I’ll start with that. I bet doing it this way first really helps with locking in tracking and picking high targets as there’s no rush. I can think through the process between each movement and make sure that each step was done correctly. I’ll see if I can get a cast in thursday arvo to practice this.
ChrisBaty

Post by ChrisBaty »

I feel like I’ve hijacked this thread Paul, maybe I should start a new one elsewhere. Anyway out for a cast today. Tried the laying down between strokes which allowed more time to think through things but still maybe 50% of the time I’d find myself mid haul and not facing the backcast as well as hauling way too early. The take away for me, the positive is that at least I’m aware of the error. Need to turn 50% error in to 30% then 20% etc. once I start to get the hang of that I’ll start working on those other areas. Looking forward to the other videos but I’ve a long road of breaking old habits so I can get to the 100 before I start to worry about the +110. Accuracy casting day for our group saturday but there may be a little time for some distance practice also.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Yep getting everything under control with good open stance distance technique is always extremely useful. Even accuracy target casting training is useful for distance, because it involves tracking, trajectory, loop formation - ie all the good stuff.

Usually I coach Accuracy, then OSD, then 170 and finally we work between all three. Many years ago Ian Walker wrote that when he didn’t have time to train distance, he would train accuracy, for distance.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
ChrisBaty

Post by ChrisBaty »

Thanks Paul, regular practice will be my aim. We have a distance day for our group on the 11th June and then the ACF will hold the Vic Flycasting Championships 25th June with an accuracy and distance component. Probably a big ask given the timing but I’m hoping to be hitting 90 regularly by then.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Good luck! Those initial leaps forward are usually pretty fast and I’m sure it will be the same for you. 90 can be about taking the effort out, setting nice straight loops, controlled backcast and a fast forward haul. Then when you stick the effort back in you find another gear.

Playing around with force is always good. I do a lot of casting at 60-70% effort, just working on form and technique.

I might go over to Tassie next summer. By then you’ll be throwing 120!

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “FP Discussions”