PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Slack line casts

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Boisker
Answers: 0

Re: Slack line casts

Post by Boisker »

Thanks all, sending the backcast so far right wasn’t something I was doing… hopefully that will be the missing link that allows the fly to fully flip back over👍
Malik

Post by Malik »

Boisker wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 10:15 am I can’t edit the above post for some reason… and meant to ask a question…

Is there a particular leader design the helps?

The one I was using was fairly heavy, 9’- 30lb, 25lb, 15lb and 12 lb, with a fairly short 12ln tippet section, all chameleon…it’s more robust for repeated practice on grass.

Would it be better to have a fairly stiff butt section then more supple tippet?
Hi,
Thank you for your interest.
Actually I suspect that a leader with a large butt diameter and a strong taper helps. The one I used for the video with the deceiver was a home made 30 pounds 9 foot furled taper. For trout fishing I used a 14-15 foot long leader with a butt diameter between 50 and 60 mm.
I'll be posting some videos on the svirgolato soon which will hopefully complement Sekhar's excellent one. Some more discussion about the svirgolato here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/vi ... o&start=10
Best Regards
Malik
Malik

Post by Malik »

0.50-0.60 mm of course 😂
VGB

Post by VGB »

For those that fancy some knitting
64bd2628-a272-4049-9e21-591bacb4abf8.jpeg
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Malik,

Can you tell us the history of the Svirgolato please? Who invented it and so on?

Many thanks,
Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
VGB

Post by VGB »

Hi Paul

Malik is fishing in the mountains and occasionally sending me pictures of his dinner :D , he is also a pretty mean cook. I’m sure he’ll get back to you when he has finished living La Dolce Vita.

I’ve just had a left handed brain fart for an hour or two, trying to throw the Svirligato but ending up with an overpowered hook instead of underpowered. Looking at the videos, I’m tracking inside to out, instead of outside to in. F’k it, I’m going fishing:

Regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Boisker

Post by Boisker »

Quick question…. I assume the point at which the leader/fly line kicks over relates to how ‘immediately at the stop’ you twist/rotate the wrist? Sooner the twist the further down the line the leader/line flips?

Been out quickly for a practice, and it’s just starting to work with some regularity, albeit with a face of concentration and no doubt tongue stuck out the corner of my mouth… it’s a way off reaching muscle memory stage.

I am getting the flip over to be at 90 degrees to the fly line; but it’s only a relatively short straight stretch of line from the rod tip before the 90 degree flip, in fact way more line/ leader laid out past the flip point.
Malik

Post by Malik »

Paul Arden wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 11:05 am Hi Malik,

Can you tell us the history of the Svirgolato please? Who invented it and so on?

Many thanks,
Paul
Hi Paul,
As usual, the authorship of this cast is disputed. Unless I'm mistaken (but I'm abroad and should check my library) Roberto Pragliola, the historical « father » of the Italian technique, doesn't say a word about it in his books. The first time I saw this cast was in 2007; it was executed by Roberto Claudio Tosti, then technical director of the Italian fly fishing school. Another instructor from the same school claimed authorship.
To tell the truth, there are so many possible ways and variations of executing this cast that I think it's rather pointless to know who originated it: I'd be more inclined to talk about a collective and evolving discover. My personal role has simply been to contribute to its understanding and dissemination outside Italy.
Best regards
Malik
Malik

Post by Malik »

Boisker wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 4:24 pm Quick question…. I assume the point at which the leader/fly line kicks over relates to how ‘immediately at the stop’ you twist/rotate the wrist? Sooner the twist the further down the line the leader/line flips?

Been out quickly for a practice, and it’s just starting to work with some regularity, albeit with a face of concentration and no doubt tongue stuck out the corner of my mouth… it’s a way off reaching muscle memory stage.

I am getting the flip over to be at 90 degrees to the fly line; but it’s only a relatively short straight stretch of line from the rod tip before the 90 degree flip, in fact way more line/ leader laid out past the flip point.
Hi,
Svirgolato is a cast not a mend, so you have to act on the trajectory of the line before or rather during the formation of the loop to shift the fly leg to the left or ti the right for a lefty. Rotating the wrist on the stop is one way of achieving this effect, another way is to break the 180 degree rule and move the arm well outwards (to the right for a right-hander and to the left for a left-hander) at the moment of the stop. This is even better if the back cast has also been directed to the outside. These two methods can be combined, but there are still others.
Enjoy !
Boisker

Post by Boisker »

Thanks Malik…. I was actually just working through all the posts on the original thread and noticed you’d said 3 yrs ago it was ‘before’ the cast was finished… apologies for getting you to repeat yourself 😁… I’ll pantomime it through the day tomorrow as a break from the work laptop… I’ve got the twist better, just need to alter the timing.

Interestingly it was working in terms of flipping the line back over as a mend, but the point at which it curved was far too close to the rod… so still a useful practice earlier…
Cheers

Return to “Flycasting”