PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Separating rod speed from haul speed

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Boisker
Answers: 0

Re: Separating rod speed from haul speed

Post by Boisker »

Paul Arden wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 2:46 pm For timing I do this…

1 sight the backcast target
2 look for the rod butt passing the vertical (or later) explode with haul.
3 take a snap shot look of the loop forming.

5 sight forward target (top of a tree in the distance, which I’m going to throw over)
6 look up to see when the top third of the rod comes into view
7 haul like fuck.
:cool:
I find the back cast slightly easier on timing, I picked up No.6 from one of your vids (they’ve been great, the ones with Nick and others are a great addition), which has really helped. It also makes me concentrate on translating the rod forward fully; having spent so much time practicing / fishing at my 40’ and under fishing distances I usually have a fairly compact stroke and it has taken a couple of weeks getting used to translating/extending the rod further in front of me again👍
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

I have a launch drill that helps ingrain this. I think it’s on the Intermediate DH Video. It’s a good one because you can go in slow motion starting from the ground and gets the body and rod into the right position for the haul.

Basically if you transfer onto a bent front knee and initiate the launch from “underneath” the rod by straightening this leg, you have to wait until the rod is in the correct position. I used to wait until much later to teach this but it helps the forward haul so much that I now teach it earlier. In other words look for the rod coming through and launch by initially straightening the front leg.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Bianchetti Ivan
Answers: 0

Post by Bianchetti Ivan »

In my opinion you concentrate too much on the rod, you should just think about raising it and not using it, let me explain, already by raising the tip of the rod the line comes towards you, when the rod is vertical and the left hand close to the right, stop the right and pull with the left, you won't succeed in casting if you actually do it but you will learn to divide the two movements, the more you do it the easier it will become, the same goes forward, when the rod is in front of you vertically and the left is close to the right, still the right and pull the left, if you really do it you won't succeed in casting but you will learn to divide the gestures, your loop will improve a lot if you don't use the rod at the beginning.

Return to “Flycasting”