PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

The Australian Games

ChrisBaty
Answers: 0

Re: The Australian Games

Post by ChrisBaty »

John Waters wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 3:04 am Hi Chris,

For Bellarine saltwater anglers, perhaps a single pickup, backcast and and shoot to the Arenburg target at say 20 metres from the caster. Caster has picks up a start line length of say 15 metres.

Maybe?

John
That could be an interesting one John, we’ll have to mess around with that a little to find a good pick up distance and overall distance but I like it.
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

You can make the distances variable Chris, it’s the pickup and shoot with accuracy that is the challenge.

John
ChrisBaty

Post by ChrisBaty »

John Waters wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 5:11 am You can make the distances variable Chris, it’s the pickup and shoot with accuracy that is the challenge.

John
Yes of course. I was going to have the others set at variable distances to keep it interesting so no reason not to do the same here. Right, that’s 4 casts locked in.
Phil Blackmar

Post by Phil Blackmar »

Hi Chris

Looks like a blast and there are so many potential shots that are applicable. Perhaps you could consider including an inverted cast for spooky fish that doesn't land past the fish. The limbo is also applicable to spooky fish who can take off when they see the fly coming in from a higher trajectory. Having a couple shots where the caster must avoid striking an object behind the caster simulating someone poling the boat is another. Similar to John's suggestion, when fishing for fast moving fish it is advantageous to be able to do a snake roll, snap T or double spey for a quick change of direction cast to a moving fish that didn't eat the first attempt or when fishing from a drifting boat.

Looks like great fun

Thanks
Phil
ChrisBaty

Post by ChrisBaty »

Phil Blackmar wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 1:51 pm Hi Chris

Looks like a blast and there are so many potential shots that are applicable. Perhaps you could consider including an inverted cast for spooky fish that doesn't land past the fish. The limbo is also applicable to spooky fish who can take off when they see the fly coming in from a higher trajectory. Having a couple shots where the caster must avoid striking an object behind the caster simulating someone poling the boat is another. Similar to John's suggestion, when fishing for fast moving fish it is advantageous to be able to do a snake roll, snap T or double spey for a quick change of direction cast to a moving fish that didn't eat the first attempt or when fishing from a drifting boat.

Looks like great fun

Thanks
Phil
Excellent suggestions there Phil, I especially like the obstacle behind the caster to mimic a guide behind you in a boat. A cast I have fumbled more than my fair share due to lack of practise. We are casting over grass more often than not so I have to be mindful of that when selecting different casts so unsure about those spey casts. Appreciate your input, many Thanks.

Return to “Casting Sport”