PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Snakehead Shot

Moderators: Paul Arden, Bernd Ziesche, Lasse Karlsson

Lou Bruno
Answers: 0

Snakehead Shot

Post by Lou Bruno »

I was hesitant in starting this topic, thinking it was previously discussed. After reading different post that mentioned the topic, I tried to find where in a SL post it was taught. Couldn't find it; anyone have the location?
Any videos?
Lou
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: Snakehead Shot

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Lou,

Yes here from a while back! Catching up with emails in the morning. Sorry busy day today with a supplies run!

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Bernd Ziesche

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

Hi Lou,
You may also watch Paul's last fp. Nice vid of him nailing down linked in there, too. I enjoyed watching, very nice casting! 👌
Regards
Bernd
http://www.first-cast.de
The first cast is always the best cast.
Lou Bruno

Post by Lou Bruno »

Bernd

Not sure I understand...sorry. I know it's about a link for casting, correct.
Can you explain further please.

Lou
George C

Post by George C »

Hi Lou
This video shows the slide loading bit ( with a marked line) that was discussed in the recent thread.
Jump to 6 minutes.
George C

Post by George C »

This thread also discusses slide loading and snakehead shots.
https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/vi ... de+loading
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Lou,

Basically how to go from 6 feet of flyline outside the rod tip to putting the fly up to 75 feet away (although here most shots are within 60 feet and it’s usually better to close the gap and wait for another shot), using only one backcast. Ie no false casting.

The Giant Snakehead appear at the surface for usually 1-2 seconds in order to breathe. Can be clearly seen and then disappear from vision about 2’ from the surface. This is this opportunity and requires a fast accurate shot, and preferably first opportunity.

But it’s not just useful for catching Snakehead and is a very fast shot, that can either be delivered as a single cast, or as part of a casting cycle reducing the number of false casts required.

Some already do elements of the cast. I know Jono Shales habitually slipped line on the lift before coming. I’ve really been refining the shot over the past decade through necessity :laugh:

It’s very easy. But it’s also extremely difficult!!

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Bernd Ziesche

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

This one, Lou. Demonstrates the quick shot when it matters. Shows how to stay ready and how to manage line while waiting and then make the quick shot. 😉👌
Regards
Bernd
http://www.first-cast.de
The first cast is always the best cast.
Mangrove Cuckoo

Post by Mangrove Cuckoo »

Paul,

I'm curious about something I see in your snakehead videos! But its not about presenting the fly, but rather its about what happens afterwards.

You have a very good sense of the often heard explanation that you should "fight the fish with your elbows". In your case snakeheads, but down here its about fighting tarpon. In both cases, the rod bend is minimized, although with tarpon its not as extreme as your complete straight line technique. I expect that is due to the fact that with tarpon there is usually a lighter tippet involved - so some rod is needed to absorb shock.

What catches my eye is how you completely remove any possible in-line rod movement prior to the eat and when setting the hook. You deliberately bend the rod hand elbow to max by tucking your elbow back under the shoulder, which leaves the hook set to be made solely from a line hand haul or torso rotation.

Why do that?

I get to watch a lot of folks try to hook small tarpon. They take a surface fly or popper very much like your snakeheads - very showy surface strikes. Tarpon are probably even more violent as they oftentimes come completely out of the water. It makes "coming tight" very difficult, and doing so is paramount to getting the set. It drives most folks crazy and their hookup percentages are very low. Great fun to watch though! :D

Larger tarpon are much easier btw... they usually take the fly on the turn and below the water, so by the time the angler feels the "tug" or sees the boil, the big fish is already swimming away - thus helping to get tight.

I guess snakehead don't turn? A tarpon that comes straight at you is a cheating barstool!

My hookup percentage on small tarpon is very high, It has a lot to do with my experience, of course, so I don't have the same excitement factor to trigger my "trout set" reaction. But, one secret I will sometimes share when the other guy in the canoe is about to pull their hair out is to fully straighten the rod arm toward the fly while stripping. Doing that, and being able to wait until feeling the fish, greatly increases the hookup percentage.

In this case, the hook set is all about the elbows too. The rod hand comes back simultaneously with the line hand. It is such a straight line set that one must be careful not to break the tippet. It is much like how to deliberately break off a stuck fly... just a wee bit easier. It takes some practice and feel, in fact at first you are more likely to "miss the fish" due to a break off than not setting the hook.

So... I'm wondering why you deliberately do the opposite with snakeheads?

Gary
With appreciation and apologies to Ray Charles…

“If it wasn’t for AI, we wouldn’t have no I at all.”
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Interesting question, Gary. I don’t know, because I know I reach out when fishing for other species too. I’ll have to think about this because I’m sure there is a reason :laugh:

I don’t generally set on these fish by the way. They are either on, or I let them get on. Strip setting on a surface fly I’ve never found too effective. There is an exception to that and that’s jungle perch, but I don’t know why. In fact I’ve had good success trout setting them in conjunction with a strip set. Which is bizarre and difficult to do in the moment!!

But snakeheads can be bastards to hook! If they take in a mouthful of water and a buoyant fly, in my mind the fly sits at the top of their mouths. And they don’t need to keep tight lips because real stuff doesn’t jump out again. Strip into that they just open their mouths and the fly pops out again!!

So with Snakehead, if they are not on, then I’m not strip setting. Sometimes after a delay I’ll even “trout set” them with the rod but from a low butt angle to hook up.

But I’ll have to think about your question next on the water. I know that the rod tip needs to be low to the water to pop the fly effectively but I don’t think that’s it.

It might just be the fact that I don’t want to set in the first place.

You know it might even be so I can “give”. I’ll have a think about it Gary. It’s a really interesting observation.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Teaching”