PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

The future???

Moderators: Paul Arden, Bernd Ziesche, Lasse Karlsson

Phil Blackmar
Answers: 0

Re: The future???

Post by Phil Blackmar »

VGB wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:25 pm Hi Phil

I did chuckle at the video, I’ve been in casting presentations like that :D

I agree with you that golf could be largely considered a complex skill. I probably mentioned that my second time playing golf which was the day after the first time I picked up a club for the first time, I played a work tournament on a local links course, coming 18th out of 32 regular players. Retrospectively, I think I went through a process of chunking, leveraging off about 11 years of school and club (grass) hockey. I could hit a ball with a stick which just goes to show a complex skill can be simpler :)

Regards

Vince
Hockey players, grass or ice, make the best golfers.....It's fairly important to put the stick on the puck or ball. Faldo used to talk about applying the face of the club to the ball in a certain manner....

Thanks
Phil
Bernd Ziesche

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

Phil,
I tend to believe the complexity comes in by the level of details a) we found to be in there and b) we try to control to be adjusted. That seems to make all kind of sports complex for those being top range and those who study the sport.
For me hitting the golf ball (tried it once in Norway) was quite easy, while for a poor grandma working about 80m away in her garden it was very dangerous. So complexity seems relative to how we put the focus.
http://www.first-cast.de
The first cast is always the best cast.
VGB

Post by VGB »

What did you focus on when you hit the ball Bernd?
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Bernd Ziesche

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

Hi Vince,
It's very long ago. But I am pretty sure, I mainly watched the ball on the grass. I remember to not have seen her and also I had zero clue the ball could go that long (having me behind the club). The ball hit the wall of her house quite next to her.
Regards
B
VGB

Post by VGB »

Same here Bernd, I guess we both found a perfect external cue :)
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

Bernd Ziesche

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

Vince,
Perfect for what? 😁

My exgf some years later put me in a golf lesson (she teaching me). First thing I learnt, was watching on my hands and the "how to hold the club". Then my feet needed to be positioned. When it came to move the hipps in a proper way I felt kida lost. 😁
She felt lost when I hit a hole in one as an early lucky shot. To be fair, that was on a very small field for total beginners. I can't remember what my final point of focus was in that day. I think I kept changing from checking grip, to feet and body and then watching at the ball.
Not different from fly casting. As soon as I want to improve, I put my focus on what I want to improve. I'd not watch the ball to perfect my grip.
Cheers
B
Phil Blackmar

Post by Phil Blackmar »

Bernd Ziesche wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:31 pm Vince,
Perfect for what? 😁

My exgf some years later put me in a golf lesson (she teaching me). First thing I learnt, was watching on my hands and the "how to hold the club". Then my feet needed to be positioned. When it came to move the hipps in a proper way I felt kida lost. 😁
She felt lost when I hit a hole in one as an early lucky shot. To be fair, that was on a very small field for total beginners. I can't remember what my final point of focus was in that day. I think I kept changing from checking grip, to feet and body and then watching at the ball.
Not different from fly casting. As soon as I want to improve, I put my focus on what I want to improve. I'd not watch the ball to perfect my grip.
Cheers
B
A very good friend of mine was playing on the Asian Tour years ago. He was having trouble putting so he was on the putting green practicing with all sorts of training aids attached and laying on the ground when a friend of his from Japan came over and asked "Mike san, what are you doing" Mike replied he was working on his putting. Mike;'s friend took the putter from him and proceeded to hook the first putt into the hole, fade the next putt into the hole and hit the last one on top of the ball and it went in the hole. (6ft). He then turned to Mike and said "Mike san, very important ball go in hole".....It's the sample things............

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

Phil Blackmar wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:11 pm He then turned to Mike and said "Mike san, very important ball go in hole".....It's the simple things ...
:D
FFi CCI
VGB

Post by VGB »

Phil Blackmar wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:11 pm He then turned to Mike and said "Mike san, very important ball go in hole".....It's the sample things............
A friend of mine was having the very same trouble and was told to put some hair around the hole. I’m just glad he didn’t check his grip. It’s a funny old game ;)

Return to “Teaching”