PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Late rotation heavy fly rods

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: Late rotation heavy fly rods

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Phil,

I experimented with 7’6 rods for a while with snakehead shots because I knew the fight would be more favourable. I find it very difficult to make the longer shots and particularly accurate ones. There is obviously a lack of line slip. I do think though that the ideal teased sailfish rod would be 7’6-8’. 3 piece. With a FG butt. I will make one in the next three years.

A longer cork would be interesting. I don’t know how comfortable it would be casting hand up the cork however. It feels weird to me without the cork. I’ll experiment with a bike inner tube.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Lou Bruno
Answers: 0

Post by Lou Bruno »

All

If you go shorter, does that mean less sections...lighter. I'm thinking the shorter rods are physically lighter; the weight factor impacts the cast more than line choice perhaps? Raises another factor; I recall a book I read a long time ago that stated the affect that ferrule types and quantity made on the overall performance of the rod.

Interesting topic...practical input.
Lou
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Lou,

It shortens the lever so it’s going to make a huge difference in terms of feel and force. When we get up to 12’ and more we usually use two hands. The shorter rod will be lighter but it’s mostly the lever length that makes the difference.

The number of ferrules is completely independent of rod length. There are single piece 9’ rods and 6 piece 9’ rods. 2 piece 9 foot rods were far more common than the four piece rods of nowadays.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Flycasting”