PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Defining Haul Distance and Speed

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Walter
Answers: 0

Defining Haul Distance and Speed

Post by Walter »

While it's still a work in progress it looks like at least some of us are okay with defining the haul as something like:
Pulling line through the guides during the casting stroke to increase line speed.
The next step would be defining haul distance and speed. How we measure them is something I think is best suited for the physics board.

Given that the purpose of the haul is to increase line speed it makes sense that haul distance and speed would be derived from the motion of the line.

We know that if we take our line hand out of the equation by trapping the line against the cork with our rod hand and make a casting stroke we can measure the length of the stroke by how far the tip guide moves during the stroke. The speed of the stroke would just be the rate of change of the length/distance of the stroke. We can measure this at the tip guide or, since the line is not moving relative to the tip guide, we can measure the speed of the line itself up to the point of loop formation.

Since we've said that the haul occurs during the casting stroke, I suggest that the haul distance and speed be defined in terms of line movement relative to the tip guide during the casting stroke.

If we were to put a mark on the line near the tip guide the hauling distance would be the distance that mark moves relative to the tip guide during the casting stroke. In terms of an actual definition this would be movement of the line relative to the tip guide during the casting stroke (wordsmithing required).

The hauling speed would be the rate of change of the hauling distance (during the stroke).

Hauling speed can be average (total haul distance divided by the duration of the stroke) or instantaneous (the derivative of the hauling distance function at any point in time - since we are unlikely to generate an actual function for the haul distance in a measured cast, we would typically use numerical differentiation to estimate instantaneous speed, but that is a matter best discussed on the physics board).
"There can be only one." - The Highlander. :pirate:

PS. I have a flying tank. Your argument is irrelevant.

PSS. How to generate a climbing loop through control of the casting stroke is left as a (considerable) exercise to the reader.
Lasse Karlsson

Re: Defining Haul Distance and Speed

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Do you mean like this old clip?

Completly agree, gets around the matter of measuring hand speed in 3D on a 2D clip.

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Walter

Post by Walter »

Lasse Karlsson wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 5:32 pm Do you mean like this old clip?
Perfect!

There are some very interesting points in that video that I want to use when we get into more detail on the physics board.

Thanks for posting it.

PSS. How to generate a climbing loop through control of the casting stroke is left as a (considerable) exercise to the reader.
Walter

Post by Walter »

If anyone is interested, I've started another thread in the flycasting physics forum to look at some of the technical aspects of haul speed and distance.

Return to “Flycasting”