PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Casting practice with heavy lines

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Stoatstail50
Answers: 0

Re: Casting practice with heavy lines

Post by Stoatstail50 »

It’s not a fear of learning something new…it’s just a little bit surprising, sometimes, that there’s something new to learn 🙂
Casting Definitions

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

I can’t find the post now but Bernd said something along the lines of he didn’t want to learn something new in case he discovered his teaching wasn’t as good as he thought it was at the time.

I’ll find the post. I might have misinterpreted :laugh:

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Maybe I’ve misread this, but my “idea” is that as coaches we can continue to improve, particularly by learning about motor learning and how coaches in other sports teach. In fact that’s not even my idea but I’ve been converted (not easily :p ) by you and Vince.
One main reason why I dislike Paul's idea, that from his to date point of view we all were widely unsuccessfull in teaching and we should have done very different. I believe many of us did great!
And I agree with Bernd’s conclusion, that I don’t think we did so “great”. And I’m also of the opinion, that one reason instructors can put up such a wall to learning, is because they’ll realise that they weren’t so great after all. In fact some of what we do has been bloody awful (and still is!!).

The reason I can say this, of course, is because I can put up both hands and say I was bloody awful too!! :laugh: Unfortunately many people can’t do this. Some sort of ridiculous ego prevents them from ever questioning their remarkable abilities. So this will absolutely stop their learning cold dead. I believe that this is one cause of the resistance you are up against Mark.

Most people don’t like to be wrong. Me I’m just surprised to be right from time to time :D

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Raising my hands in the air and claiming same!

And that means I agree with Paul, time to take a rest :D

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
VGB

Post by VGB »

IMG_2153.jpeg
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I certainly hope that people learn from my mistakes. The upgrade/rebuild of the Sexyloops website, as well as version 2 of the video manual, will both enable this. Everything will remain in place and I’ll explain why it was wrong. It’s generally not very good form to criticise others, but pointing out your own errors is very good I think.

This is year of the Dragon. So let’s breathe some fire :pirate:

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Flycasting”