PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

sparse weighted fly short cast

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Phil Blackmar
Answers: 0

Re: sparse weighted fly short cast

Post by Phil Blackmar »

LOL, that is true Vince.....

P
VGB

Post by VGB »

I was demo'ing this last night as something that could be achieved with slow line control

“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Phil Blackmar

Post by Phil Blackmar »

Hi Vince-

Thats a cool shot. I have one that is very similar where the fly leg is a bit more underneath or inverted. I move the rod similar to how you did in the video and when using the heavy fly, if I hit the speed just right it works great, but just the tinniest bit too much speed and the fly kicks left........

the common theme seems to be me and the application of speed.....

Thanks
P
VGB

Post by VGB »

Hi Phil

Malik taught me that cast and it’s caught me a hatful of fish, it’s his video. Regarding the kicking, there have been several mentions of following through with the cast but you have to slow the rod early to start loop formation while you still have some arm travel left to slow down turnover. Another way of skinning the cat is to shoot line as well.

As with all casts it takes practice and wading is a constraint that you have to account for. It’s easy to add power to keep the fly off the water and end up with too much heat to get a good presentation. It’s fun playing with short range presentation as well as distance and makes practice less of a chore.

Regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Phil Blackmar

Post by Phil Blackmar »

Hi Vince-

I have to admit that I’ve not used it in a fishing situation yet and was not prepared to need it that day. Now I know. I have spent more time with heavier lines and bigger flies where the tendency to kick is less severe. I recently showed it to a friend using a 10 wt with a very heavy short head line he uses for casting large articulated bass flies. He immediately fell in love and used it to catch some fish his next time out.

It’s a very cool cast Thank you again.
P

Return to “Flycasting”