PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Salmon Fishing explained

Snake Pliskin
Answers: 0

Salmon Fishing explained

Post by Snake Pliskin »

Some people find boredom exciting.
petevicar

Salmon Fishing explained

Post by petevicar »

Never book salmon fishing too long in advance. The weather and river conditions will normally be all wrong (Sod's Law).

If possible do it the day before. Even for different beats on the same river.
One year I booked a beat on the middle section of the Tweed for a couple of days. When I got there there river was very low. I rebooked a beat on the lower part of the river and caught fish. :yeahhh:
IANACI
Zoran Marinkovic

Salmon Fishing explained

Post by Zoran Marinkovic »

I went on Salmon fishing only once in my life, in Norway something about 2003 or 4?
Hundreds of German guys in their best age of +70 were waiting there in the camp just where River met the dark Norway Sea.

I spent there 7 days waiting for Salmon run , having a few most expensive drinks in my life !!!!

Real Salmon run didn't happen , except for a few small runs, probably Salmons send some young scouts to check out the River conditions and pensioners hanging on the River banks . :glare:

They managed to caught maybe 2 or 3 smallish Salmons in those 7 days, in the night .
Their style of catching was just to drop the line in the River and then wait for Salmon to take a fly .

Luckily, there were lots of lakes and Sea fishing around , so I caught quite few fish having a great time .

I do not think I will ever spend xxxx $ anymore waiting for imaginary fish to decide when to run in the River from the immense Sea.

It seems one must stay there everyday and breath with Sea, river and Salmon timing .
Then it might be easy .

Anyway, good luck Paul with Salmon adventure !
Bernd Ziesche

Salmon Fishing explained

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

Paul Arden wrote: 14) if I catch a fish should I rest the pool or get straight back on them?
Relax and enjoy life! After catching a big salmon am surfing on a LONG wave. Doesn't matter, if I may catch another one or not. :cool: :p

Besides that there is often (depending on the river and the conditions) a very good chance to hook up with more than one AFTER having had some disturbance down in the pool. Sometimes it may even help to throw a stone in to get the salmons being more active and willing to take a fly.
Personally I would never throw stones but it has suceessfully be done by several anglers. Jim Teeny is one of them who discovered this long time ago on Steelheading.
Greets
Bernd
http://www.first-cast.de
The first cast is always the best cast.
Gilly

Salmon Fishing explained

Post by Gilly »

Salmon fishing is a law unto itself and there is no justice into how much work you put into trying to catch them. It is never ever boring (sorry Mark but.......) but it is soul destroying.
However, on the very rare occasion when it works there is nothing like it.

This Thursday on the Spey - happy days.
Attachments
003.JPG
Lasse Karlsson

Salmon Fishing explained

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Congrats Gilly, that's a nice one :cool:

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
TrevH

Salmon Fishing explained

Post by TrevH »

Congratulations, Gilly. It's been an awesome week for you!

T
Bernd Ziesche

Salmon Fishing explained

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

Gilly wrote: It is never ever boring (sorry Mark but.......) but it is soul destroying.
However, on the very rare occasion when it works there is nothing like it.
Well said! Nice catch, Gilly!
Greets
Bernd
http://www.first-cast.de
The first cast is always the best cast.
Snake Pliskin

Salmon Fishing explained

Post by Snake Pliskin »

Out salmon fishing the other day. Water looked good, saw a couple of fish move as I tackled up. Was filled with that warm feeling of expectancy. To cut a long story short, every 5 minutes about 3 canoes paddled through the good water in front of me, even when they had enough room to go behind me. All fucking day. That Gilly, was soul destroying.
Stoatstail50

Salmon Fishing explained

Post by Stoatstail50 »

I'm doing it again.

Why am I doing it again?

It's indescribably dull...I could have spent a few more productive days hitting myself on the head with a ball peen hammer....I haven't got one, so I'm going to strip off and lie in nettles.
Casting Definitions

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.

Return to “Beginners”