PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Translation - Rotation

Moderator: Torsten

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Translation - Rotation

Post by Paul Arden »

Me too. I was very impressed with Tor's sportsmanship, friendliness and abilities. Very inspirational to both Lee and I. He competes in ICSF games too John, so you may have met him.

He's an ex-javelin competitor - maybe current for all I know :p - very fit. Somewhere in his 50s at a guess. I was pleased to be beaten by a 50 yr old in his prime and not a 20 yr old! And I suspect he would also beat me in an arm wrestle! We didn't try that!

Top bloke, consistent - awesome. Hats off to the man.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson
Answers: 0

Translation - Rotation

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

John Waters wrote:I will certainly do that Mailk and suspect a number of people around the world will be doing the same after Tor's gold medal performance with a 15 weight rod and a 5 weight line. I congratulate him on both his World Championship win and his willingness to experiment with gear and seek what works best for him.

John
Hi John

Was at a competition in Sweden yesterday, and was told that it is not a 15 weight Tor used, but in fact a Loomis nrx 9 feet 8 weight :)

Wonder who it was who started that 15 weight thing....

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
John Waters

Translation - Rotation

Post by John Waters »

Thanks Lasse, appreciate that information. I spent a few hours casting my 5 weight on stiff rods on Friday morning and could not get them to go. I thought it was because of my ability (or abject lack thereof) and because the rods I was using were too strong in the tip. I finished my session with the view that I would use a fishing rod tip rather than a casting rod tip and see how I went with that. I will experiment a bit with fishing tips over next few weeks, beats doing the gardening.

I was probably the only "October Fool" on the planet but my experimentation may not be a complete waste of time. Sure does put the focus on my haul.

Thanks again,

John
Lasse Karlsson

Translation - Rotation

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Hi John

No problem, we've debated this, stiffer rod casting further, before, and several here seems to be getting more out of the really stiff rods, me, I get the most with the one I use the most :) A few of the sedes are using 9 (method 990) and 10 (TiCRX 1090) weights and getting good results

Still it's a good exercise, and shouldn't be discarded in my opinion.

Cheers
Lasse

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Translation - Rotation

Post by Paul Arden »

I find stiff rods very hard on the elbow. They do take a bit of adjustment to work John, but they do function. I'm still divided in my opinion.

Cheers Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Ben_d

Translation - Rotation

Post by Ben_d »

I threw a 5 on a TFO 910 BVK over the weekend with very good results, I'm rusty at 5wt as I never practice it and all my single handed fishing has been at less than 25 yard this year. THose of us who tried at a BFCC meet this year all threw further with a stiffer rod than one rated as a #5. I'm not really changing my stroke a whole lot for it, still translating the same, arc similar too by look of it. Sounds strange but I feel as if I can turn the stiffer rod faster.

CHeers

Ben
Lasse Karlsson

Translation - Rotation

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Doesn't sound strange at all Ben, less bend working against you.

Cheers
Lasse

John Waters

Translation - Rotation

Post by John Waters »

Lasse Karlsson wrote: Still it's a good exercise, and shouldn't be discarded in my opinion.
Agree completely Lasse,

John

Return to “Flycasting Physics”