PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Carrying a gun while fishing...

Moderator: Haggisboy

Flyfishfairwx
Answers: 0

Post by Flyfishfairwx »

Sorry for the rough editing, sun rhum, beach rhum and sun. Way too much rhum and beach in Barbados !!
Everybody has to believe in something and I believe in Fly fishing and Fly tying and believe I will.
As in the army I have never had a bad day fly fishing, some damn uncomfortable days but never a bad one.
Flyfishfairwx

Post by Flyfishfairwx »

Sorry for the rough editing, sun rhum, beach rhum and sun. Way too much rhum and beach in Barbados !!
Everybody has to believe in something and I believe in Fly fishing and Fly tying and believe I will.
As in the army I have never had a bad day fly fishing, some damn uncomfortable days but never a bad one.
Toastedheretic

Post by Toastedheretic »

Had a fishery owner shout some abuse at me once while holding a broken shotgun across his arm,admittedly I may have been fishing his water. It did concentrate the mind some what though, I doubt he'd have the balls to put a bead on me.
alex vulev

Post by alex vulev »

Paul Arden wrote:Ha ha. "Don't nymph in my hole". Erm, no :cool:
or - "get off from my spot with your girly dry fly stuff " :D

nope, it's not legal over here unless you have a permission but thankfuly I've never been in a situation to need a gun. Currently there is a report for a bear approaching qiute close to one secret stream I like to fish , so i have to be careful - a peper spray perhaps?
Wise indeed was George Selwyn Marryat when he said: "its not the fly; its the driver"

page 193,
GEM Skues,The Way Of A Trout With A Fly
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

Not legal here either, but I've never felt threatened by anything other than boat drivers who were unaware of my presence (through their own inattention) whilst I'm in my kayak.

Besides, a side arm would be fairly ineffective against a 5m white pointer unless it got airborne during its attack. ;)

I'm in more danger driving to my fishing spot than I am when actually fishing.

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
BWF

Post by BWF »

Yes, in Alaska we carried a shotgun on our 2 man platoon. Only problem was we ventured so far from it as we walked the river involved in fishing and we had the gun housed on the platoon boat...what good????? Neither of us bothered to strap it on and carry it. It gave us confidence the first day or two, but after the two days or so we didnt really think about needing a gun. We only ran in to 5 bears over 8 days (although mighty big f'ing bears :sick: :O :O ) Im sure we had many more spot us than we saw.

I guess experience will change your mind regardless of what you encounter. It only takes one time of some type of close encounter for you to want a firearm nearby. I don't hold any grudges against those who do.
steelehead

Post by steelehead »

Due to the very strict weapon law in Germany, german fly fishers substitute firearms with silly hats.
However we do not have any dangerous animals here, so that's ok.
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

Alas, we have very strict laws against wearing silly hats in Australia. They proved to be ineffective against crocodiles anyway, so no great loss ... :p
FFi CCI
alex vulev

Post by alex vulev »

Graeme H wrote:
I'm in more danger driving to my fishing spot than I am when actually fishing.
can't agree more despite the fact that nowadays quite a lot of the remote villagies over here are abandoned by people and it seems the local bears are coming closer to some fishing spots. So far no one is beeing hurt by bear when fishing so probably its more of danger while driving to the spot.

PS And certanly there are dangerous bears on my favorite spots :D :D :D
Wise indeed was George Selwyn Marryat when he said: "its not the fly; its the driver"

page 193,
GEM Skues,The Way Of A Trout With A Fly
t.z.

Post by t.z. »

I do not quite understand the motivations of the author of the bespoke article. He came across an open minded person with a bit of messy habits and proposes that his homophobia is reason enough to shoot down the owner of the messy truck?

He stated:
I could see inside the truck. It was a disaster. Food wrappers, uneaten bits of god knows what all over the seat and floorboard. I couldn't even see the seat but I could see the gun sitting next to him on top of an old fast food bag.
I wonder hat else he wanted to / not wanted to see. From the context of the text I assume that he is offended by the messiness of the truck. I would say that the messiness of a car is often directly related to the friendliness of the owner. Look at Paul for example. He is an extremely friendly chap and I have seen his car .... :666:
“You ever suck a dick? ‘Cause you look to me like the kind of guy who’d suck a dick!”
Why is the open and honest question about sexual preferences such a threatening affair that one considers lethal action against the person asking? Can this be paranoia?

Return to “Manshit”