PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Carrying a gun while fishing...

Moderator: Haggisboy

alex vulev
Answers: 0

Post by alex vulev »

Harps wrote:
fly fishermen were all rich, snobby,
sounds like a nice bunch of people :D
Wise indeed was George Selwyn Marryat when he said: "its not the fly; its the driver"

page 193,
GEM Skues,The Way Of A Trout With A Fly
VGB

Post by VGB »

John Finn wrote:Has anybody else been attacked by an otter.?
I heard of a fisherman being attacked by an otter, when he entered the water between the bitch and her cubs. I've been threatened by squirrels but find that they are easily scared by automatic fire
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
VGB

Post by VGB »

Graeme H wrote:Alas, we have very strict laws against wearing silly hats in Australia. They proved to be ineffective against crocodiles anyway, so no great loss ... :p
Don't the corks get stuck in the crocodiles teeth?
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

The corks weren't so much of a problem. It was the bottles attached to the corks knocking out innocent Aussies as they watched the shielas run past ….
FFi CCI
t.z.

Post by t.z. »

I forgot .... some use rifles for pikefishing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHlCbomdJ3s
Zoran Marinkovic

Post by Zoran Marinkovic »

Two bows .
One bow for fishing , another for hunting .
Always in my car , and my car is always with me , or very close .
"My place " has a shore line of 120 km , and very often ( during week days or during bad weather ) I am literally ALONE , or almost alone .
Two bows and two dozen of arrows per 120 km -just a perfect balance.

Guns are for sissies .
Davyfly

Post by Davyfly »

Not legal in all States, there are also issues so far as possesion of a firearm in such areas as Fedaral lands and many other designated or on private property. There may be differences during the legal hunting season. On restricted lands.
We also have what is known as a concealed permit, which allows for a citizen to carry a firearm but not in designated areas which do not permit carry.
There are also laws related to the transport of firearms and or ammo from State to State and or possesion of ammo.
My own State is very liberal so far as gun laws, unless you are a convicted Felon.
There is no licence, you can go to a gun show and more or less buy what you want from the seller.

That said, yes l do at times carry guns in my truck and boat during hunting season if l am on the water in my boat. Otherwise not. Here we have no issues with bears, all be it there are many in the State, but not Grizzlys. If you do shoot game out of legal hunting season you better have a good reason to have done so.
Vicente G

Re: Carrying a gun while fishing...

Post by Vicente G »

better to have it and not need it, guns don't aim themselves and don't shoot themselves, I don't want to go shooting people because they are on the same part of the river than me that stuff happens and I don't really care about sharing a spot or anything like that, we are fishing man come on it's about relaxing, but when I find a group of crackheads that are looking for easy money and aggressive or a drunk hillbilly that thinks I'm a nice prey, I won't be doubting, sometimes if the attacker sees a gun its more than enough to de-escalate the situation and best case they go away running as I guess 95% of them will do, but the 5% that don't you will be thanking god that it was him on the ground and not you with a bullet or a deep knife wound on your stomach, sometimes saying "please leave me alone" is not enough, remember that you might be a good law-abiding citizen but if everyone was like that why would we need Police and law enforcement agents? while I really hope I will never in all my life have to use a gun and I will do anything in my hands so it goes that way but if someday I need to use it, it's my life or theirs, and correct me if I'm too greedy but I don't want to spare my life to a thief while I was just quietly fishing by myself, hope this makes sense
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

The problem is Vicente, is that it goes the other way too. If in another life we were both muggers and we thought there was a possibility that those we were going to mug had a gun down their pants, then we would want a gun too. What could just be losing a fly box, or our dignity, turns into a gunfight a OK Corral.

Me personally, I rather live in a world of unarmed muggers… which I do.

I’ve never had a gun pulled on me. Never a knife either. I’ve been in a few pub fights. Never my fault of course, but sometimes it happens. There are people in this world who lose control after a few drinks. Give them access to a gun? Give access to people who are not quite all together in their heads, access to a gun? Give people who are just downright evil.. access to a gun? There is no security in that world.

If you stick me in a fucked up world like that, then I don’t want a gun; I want a tank! But that’s not the world I either live in or want to live in. I want to live in a world where the worst thing I’ll get when a night out goes wrong is a black eye. Arm the muggees and you arm the muggers.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Maybe we should arm the fish.
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Manshit”