PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Sunray Micro Thin Fly Lines

Moderators: Viking Lars, Magnus

bass
Answers: 0

Post by bass »

Hiya,

Anybody know anything about these?

Sounds like a good idea. They seem to focus on the reduced shadow of a thinner fly line.

I would have thought less wind resistance and therefore more distance wouild have been its USP.

Looking forward to reading your thoughts. (Yeh, I wish!)

http://www.gofundme.com/sunrayflyfish

One or two well-known funders in there!

Cheers,

Bass
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

2.5K won't buy many flylines. You can make a fly line thinner either by narrowing its core or inceasing its density. There are quite a few lines already that only-just float - MED for example. RIO comp and that's on a mono-core. If it's coming out the Northern Sports factory then they don't have the tolerances. So it would have to be AF or one of the U.S. brands. There's nothing in there about tapers. It's all about tapers, hardness, density and coating.

What do you think?

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

The Rio comp is on a braided core, but only 12 lbs to make it as thin as possible.

Getting enough strength and a durable coating seems to be the main problem with monocore lines that also wants to be thin. Rio's coated runningline has had some issues in the thinnest version.

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

You're right! It's been while since I've cast one. Did you ever get one of the 150ft mono-core MEDs that Bruce ran off, Lasse? This was back in the days of BOTW.
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Davyfly

Post by Davyfly »

Back to the days of silk lines l think !!
Toastedheretic

Post by Toastedheretic »

Yeah, I get the company on my facebook feed, wondered why they would need start up capital if they were going to production with such a sector changing concept, one would have thought 3m or whoever would roll in with the wanga in loo of future options on the licence. Haven't Snowbee already got a line with similar compensated loading? 'Buoyant mass' should get the techy types on here a head scratching, no has to be some sort of uber H20 repellent coating, which brings us back to silk as Davy suggests.
Am of to listen to some warpy psychedelic dance music, the mystery may well reveal itself in the small hours or maybe not. :sorcerer:
James9118

Post by James9118 »

Am I missing something obvious here? To be compliant with the AFFTA standard the line must weigh between certain limits. In order to float it must have a maximum density < 1 g/cc. This then sets a lower limit on the diameter. Am I being thick?
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Hi James

You are forgetting magic :p

Cheers
Lasse

Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Oh and marketing BS :D

Davyfly

Post by Davyfly »

Granted a dry line will cast a shadow either above the fish or to the bed of the river, if the prevailing overhead light conditions are at the right relative angle to do so.
Wade anglers may not often be aware of the fact that not only the fly line but also leader, tippet, fly, indicator, if on the surface will cause a shadow to the bed of the river which will often result in spooking fish, big time.
Couple of years back when l was shooting one of my DVDs l made a point of demonstrating this factor. Once again if the relative angle of overhead light is in a position to do so. In the case of dull, diminished light conditions this is not the case.

The reason why l say wade anglers may not be aware of this is due to the fact often as not they are fishing low to the water and not in a position to look down on what is going on as most times they are not looking directly down on the leader/tippet or fly.

In my case l spend something like 80% of my guide days in a boat, which given the clarity of the White river allows for me to see what's going on at the river bed, no question of doubt as that shadow is seen by fish moving toward them on the river bed they scatter.
Fly line color by the way makes no difference if it blocks overhead light direction.

Davy.

Return to “Tackle”