PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Welcome Haysie (Peter Hayes, Tasmania!)

Moderator: Paul Arden

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Our rivers are very tight and as you know I'm not the slightest bit interested in lobbing nymphs just so I can say I caught a fish fly fishing. For me it's all about the cast.
Yes I can understand that, for many people it's the same. Me on the other hand I absolutely love this nymphing style, although when it comes to something like Snakehead I make it much harder for myself throwing loops of flyline around. I think what I love about this method is the sensitivity of seeing takes that you would never see or know about otherwise. Also you are somehow much more in direct control when you are fishing only the leader and fly. Still I didn't get into flyfishing through fly casting - as I'm sure you didn't either - but mostly through coarse fishing with worms, maggot and spinners, before progressing to the fly. If there wasn't fly fishing I would still be fishing every day, only not with the fly!

How do people take up flyfishing in Tasmania? Directly or through other methods first?

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Graeme H
Answers: 0

Post by Graeme H »

Paul Arden wrote:How do people take up flyfishing in Tasmania? Directly or through other methods first?

Cheers, Paul
That's a good question. I know the answer for me and my friends, but I'd love to hear Haysie's answer too.

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
Haysie

Post by Haysie »

Lasse Karlsson wrote:Time to make 5 piece 9footers then :p

And g'day haysie, great to see you here! Can I have my backcast back please :D

Cheers
Lasse
G'day Lasse,

Nice to chat. I'm off to Livingston tomorrow for the IFFF CBOG meeting then some examinations and workshops. I'll make sure everyone is on their toes and have heaps of fun. I have a week and a half to fish too.

Yeah..... I remember your backcast...... and my forward cast that goes too fast and unrolls too quickly and is aimed too high that it sometimes tails for reasons other than me belting it too much !

I still remember casting with you. You are a great caster with a great casting mind. Keep up the good work.
Haysie

Post by Haysie »

Graeme H wrote:
Paul Arden wrote:How do people take up flyfishing in Tasmania? Directly or through other methods first?

Cheers, Paul
That's a good question. I know the answer for me and my friends, but I'd love to hear Haysie's answer too.

Cheers,
Graeme
It is a good question.....

If you have a hint of a true hunter or angler in you then I think you will eventually end up fly fishing if you are exposed to it. Friends firstly. Media images/movies etc. As you know if you are fair dinkum then once you start you will have the disease.
THere is so much more going on than bait fishing and for most there is more going on than lure fishing.

I personally do not know of anyone (adults) that migrates from Bait and or lure fishing to fly fishing that goes back to bait or lure. My son Lachie doesn't give a fat rats arse how he catches them....... One day I suspect he will.
Walter

Post by Walter »

Hey Peter!

Glad to hear you are still alive and well in spite of crocs, sharks, snakes and spiders. I have a question about the chopstick challenge - what do you change in your normal casting stroke to cast with a chopstick?

Cheers!

Walter
"There can be only one." - The Highlander. :pirate:

PS. I have a flying tank. Your argument is irrelevant.

PSS. How to generate a climbing loop through control of the casting stroke is left as a (considerable) exercise to the reader.
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Hi Walter

Nothing, more translation, but that's outside the stroke :p

And the haul of course ;)

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Lasse Karlsson wrote: Nothing, more translation, but that's outside the stroke :p
:D :D
It's part of mine :p
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Mine too, when I'm not talking to fellow members of the club :p

Walter

Post by Walter »

Remind me. Which one of you two is Peter? Or is Peter a construct of the matrix? :p
"There can be only one." - The Highlander. :pirate:

PS. I have a flying tank. Your argument is irrelevant.

PSS. How to generate a climbing loop through control of the casting stroke is left as a (considerable) exercise to the reader.
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Walter wrote:Remind me. Which one of you two is Peter? Or is Peter a construct of the matrix? :p
With skills like his, he might very well be :cool:

Red or blue pill?

Cheers
Lasse

Return to “A week with...”