PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

The Endless Days Of Living Afloat: Paul's FP 13 Feb

Moderator: Haggisboy

petevicar
Answers: 0

Post by petevicar »

Hi Paul

After reading you FP and also having met you a few times I can understand your need to live in a boat.

What I can't understand is living in a boat in a place where the fishing is not that great. You say so yourself.

There are challenges in life and it seems that you have accepted the fact that the fishing is difficult and how ever good you are you can never really crack the code. Because the code doesn't exist.

I don't understand why you live there and not somewhere else where the fishing is better.

One thing that I found out in my early days of saltwater fishing, I served my apprenticeship in the Florida Keys, is that you learn more when there are fish to catch.
I spent a lot of time in Florida, catching some of the few bonefish that were around. I then went to places where there were more fish and learned significantly more in terms of technique. I then went back to Florida a better fisherman and had more success.

Pete
IANACI
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Pete, the fishing is fabulous here, just been slow the last couple of weeks coming out of the Wet. Mind you as I write, a good day is one Snakehead, a good week is one Gourami! But for every fish there are lost fish, chases and missed shots.

Anyway the reason I am based here is because every day and at a fast rate. I figure after about 15 seasons doing the same type of fishing, you'll have learned most of it. I've done close to 20 seasons on UK stillwaters, and similar amount of time in NZ. While it's enjoyable to do it well, it takes a long time to learn anything significantly new.

Here however that is not the case. I've spent just over 2.5 years on the water now, I think I have another seven ahead. Lots of unknowns still with regards Snakehead, in particular taking them down deep. Jungle Perch is a whole species I've fished very little for. There are Mahseer here but I've yet to chase them. And of course there are Giant Gourami, which is a species that for all intents and purposes is completely new. I've caught more of them than anyone else and I'm actually pioneering this fish species. I don't think I'll ever be lucky enough again to actually pioneer catching a fish!!

What I might avoid in the future is fishing during and just after the Wet. The rest of the year has better fishing, although I still do learn at this time of year and there are some excellent moments to be had - particularly if I start fishing for the Perch. And if I had a Houseboat (on the list) then fishing the Wet might actually be enjoyable!

I think I'll spend time here for most of the next 7 or so years really learning as much as I can. Then the plan is to buy a sailing boat and saltwater fish for 10-15 years. Then I don't know :p

Snakehead are the hardest casting shots I've taken, far harder than anything in the Salt (less time, has to be more accurate and land gently). Gourami are the most challenging dry fly fish I've caught, and they fight with the power of Permit but you have to stop them running. For me it's amazing. When I'm not here all I think about is Giant Snakehead. I dream about them!

When the fishing is prime for free-rising Snakehead (June onwards) and you fancy a trip let me know! Malaysia is a good place to stop over enroute to Australia for example and there are cheapish flights to Perth if you ever fish Exmouth. And I may even have a houseboat by then, a second tinny certainly!

Cheers,
Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Also there are the Giant Snakehead - these are without doubt the most remarkable fish I've fished for, well Giant Gourami are up there too. This was a Snakehead in the net!
Attachments
happyface2.jpg
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
t.z.
Answers: 0

Post by t.z. »

It´s all about friction ...

Return to “Manshit”