PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Why are dry fly hooks down eyed?

Moderator: Viking Lars

Twisties
Answers: 0

Post by Twisties »

Says it all in the title, I have thought about this for a while and no obvious reason is coming to mind, hopefully someone on here knows?
al greig

Post by al greig »

Truthfully, I'm guessing - but I'm thinking that its maybe a historical thing, if it is indeed the case that they are down-eyed. I imagine that heavier/larger diameter/stiffer tippet material would perhaps drag the nose of the fly down, in an up-eyed fly. In a down-eyed fly, the same tippet might push the nose of the fly up.

Really, I have no idea!

Lars???
t.z.

Post by t.z. »

It had to do with the knots used back in the day ... I heard. Tried to find the source, but can´t remember.
ACW

Post by ACW »

Erm
being an elder member of the fly fishing world ,dry fly hooks are or rather were UP eyed, certainly when I first started bodging flys as shown by Geoff Bucknall ,in now ultra trendy Exmouth market.
The stated reason was using the turle knot ,as well salmon irons still have upeyes.
Myself i never got on with the turle knot ,evne for salmon?seatroyt prefering tucked bloods.
Back to trout flys the down eye became fashionable towards the mid 80s,who started the trend I dont remember,or really care.
Still use up down and straight eyes for drys ,straight eyes make most sense to me ,but for proportion I use whatever I have to hand ,then I have a scary collection of Hooks !
Neil Owens

Post by Neil Owens »

Blimey - that's timely - I was going to ask the same thing

I am looking at reasonably authentic patterns for perhaps sentimental reasons and Kites Imperial was possibly tied on an up eyed hook.

Given I can see the advantages in sinking your tippet I can't see why you'd want an up eyed hook?
t.z.

Post by t.z. »

to me the size of the eye matters. I hate hooks with tini tiny eyes. Try changing a fly in the dim light of a northen summer night ...
Twisties

Post by Twisties »

Wow fascinating stuff regarding up eyed hooks and the turle knot! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFUw4zhC4hQ

Totally agree about the down eye helping to get the tippet under the surface. I thought about that too but as there are so many people that believe the tippet should be floated i didn't think that would be the reason.

Anyhow thanks for the insights!
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Traditionally dry fly hooks are up-eyed - at least since hooks had eyes I believe. I've always wondered why this is the case and always preferred down eyes for sinking the tippet and hook ups. The only time I liked up eyed hooks was for tying upside down flies :p Maybe there's an argument for clouser hooks being up eyed?

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Flytying”