PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

IFFF Defintions Instructor Preparation

Moderators: Paul Arden, Bernd Ziesche, Lasse Karlsson

Lasse Karlsson
Answers: 0

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Nice recap on the history!

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Lee Cummings

Post by Lee Cummings »

Great FP

I wouldn't fancy my chances if i had to retake the FFF test based on that verbatim
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

The FFF definitions after the core are very weak IMO. A tailing loop for example is a transverse wave in the fly leg that intersects the rod leg usually in two places. I have once seen a tail that wasn't created during the casting stroke, however it is definitely not only a concave tip path that creates them - some tails have S-shape tip paths (most commonly) and inverted loops also have concave tip paths.

An underslung loop is not necessarily created by gravity. In the diagram that fly leg could be climbing to rise above the rod leg. As in a roll cast!

The definition of Curve Cast is simply to pander to the MCI casting requirement and this cast/mend terminology that the IFFF puts before practical casting skills. If you want to learn to cast around a tree, does it matter how it gets there?

7&8 are also very weak. I'm guessing these were added long after?

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Lee, they are not a requirement for taking the tests, they are meant for talks internally among instructors.
As I said, I haven't met any instructors who agree with them in person, and that goes to quite a few examiners of all three levels. I'm looking forward to meeting some who do, and to the talks then :D

Cheers
Lasse

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Well they have been officially approved Lasse, so someone must agree with them! The problem with them that I have, particularly if they are for "instructor discussions" is that you can't have the slide/drag discussion that you can with the SL set. We discussed that for years, which is where the division occurred.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
VGB

Post by VGB »

Paul Arden wrote:The problem with them that I have, particularly if they are for "instructor discussions" is that you can't have the slide/drag discussion that you can with the SL set. We discussed that for years
Bloody hell, the long winter evenings must have flown past :p
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Paul Arden wrote:Well they have been officially approved Lasse, so someone must agree with them! The problem with them that I have, particularly if they are for "instructor discussions" is that you can't have the slide/drag discussion that you can with the SL set. We discussed that for years, which is where the division occurred.

Cheers, Paul
Yeah, a majority of the CBOG present at the meeting in Montana approved them, so that majority agrees with them.. Try and invite that majority to explain ;)
It was also approved by two committees, maybe invite them too...

Cheers
Lasse

Ps. I haven't got access anymore to our definitions forum on the old board, is it possible to get that again?

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Yes just login to the old Board Lasse and it will be there, I've just done so anyway, let me know if you can't and I'll have a look at your permissions. I'm sure I haven't changed anything!
Bloody hell, the long winter evenings must have flown past
Haha :p Actually it has been fascinating and rather insightful. Mostly it came about through analysing comp distance casters.

Slip would actually be a very good alternative definition to Slide incidentally. Teaching-wise to change someone's casting stoke from \-|-/ to \\\\/ you modify their Casting Stroke implementing Drag/Translation at the beginning. Using the IFFF set you would get them to start the CS later, implementing Drag post LSP and the whole thing is very much more complex. How can that be useful for instructor discussions?! Try discussing it and then more to the point try teaching it! I'm guessing most of the guys approving the other set either haven't understood it or maybe just haven't learned it yet.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Just tried, and nope, can't access (they don't show up, so guess the permission got lost with the ban...)

Cheers
Lasse

Lee Cummings

Post by Lee Cummings »

Lasse Karlsson wrote:Lee, they are not a requirement for taking the tests, they are meant for talks internally among instructors.
As I said, I haven't met any instructors who agree with them in person, and that goes to quite a few examiners of all three levels. I'm looking forward to meeting some who do, and to the talks then :D

Cheers
Lasse
You pass the masters, you can get to test, right?

Return to “Teaching”