PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Interesting behaviour

Moderator: Paul Arden

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Interesting behaviour

Post by Paul Arden »

Today I was fishing a lake where there a good number of trout zigzagging the flats at speed. They weren't interested in dries. I switched to nymphs but then high cloud came in and I could see bugger all :( 20 minutes of fishing (proper).

The fish had been difficult and I looked around and saw nothing crawling the bottom. Later however I noticed some duns drifting away from the bank - and shucks close to the edge. And then, when leaving, I saw a nymph swimming along the bottom towards the shore.

Ok now I know what I have to do next time!

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Flybye
Answers: 0

Interesting behaviour

Post by Flybye »

Paul,
Are you up in the highlands still ,if so I found that in the early morning (sun up) that there was always a sort of scum lane of dead insects killed by the overnight chill in the margins with trout cruising and picking them up in the surface literally inches from the shore. Particularly west of Augusta.
Tk
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Interesting behaviour

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Tony,

Yep In fact that was Lake Augusta (the original, not the dam). I've frequently seen fish right on the shoreline as you say. In fact I first came across this on Ardliegh Res when they allowed first light fishing. Fish in front of the sailing club would be 6" from the bank. Often out here I find fish under the bank resting in the shade. You walk along the banks. They dart out and then back in. I've tried fishing for them (without spooking them) unsuccessfully so far. Flavio actually managed to catch one he had spooked however. I still don't know why he didn't play the lottery that week.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Interesting behaviour

Post by Paul Arden »

Tied some fluff. Heading back there tomorrow.

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Interesting behaviour

Post by Paul Arden »

Landed 2. Missed 7 FFS.

Maybe less lead in the body or a different strike. I tried different strikes but while I could see the fish I couldn't see them eat (it was windy). Pricked 5, had one swim with the fly for 3m and missed one clean.

Anyway half way there. Will have another go next week in the same place with lighter flies and hopefully the same conditions.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Flyfishing”