PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

CI test question

Moderators: Paul Arden, Bernd Ziesche, Lasse Karlsson

swiftnick
Answers: 0

CI test question

Post by swiftnick »

I am taking the CI test this September and i have a question (probably alot more in the future months).

In the accuracy part of the test. What is the best (and allowed) way to slip line between targets? Can you hold the line with the line hand or should it be the in the rod hand/fingers all the time?

Best regards

Mikkel Hald
Lasse Karlsson

CI test question

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Hi Mikkel

The best way is the one you feel most comfortable using.
You can use the line hand while extending line, then you have to trap the line in your rod hand, and deliver.

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
swiftnick

CI test question

Post by swiftnick »

Great!
Thanks Lasse

Now I just have to practice the switch between hands so it doesn't mess Up my loop and trajectory

Control control control

Mikkel
Morsie

CI test question

Post by Morsie »

Now I just have to practice the switch between hands so it doesn't mess Up my loop and trajectory
That is where it seems to all go wrong. yep, practise, practise, practise.
Make your explanations as simple as possible, but no simpler. A Einstein.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

CI test question

Post by Paul Arden »

I've always wondered about this requirement. I've seen it in competition casting regularly in the US who no doubt use it for length precision. However if the fly hits the target then I don't think it should be necessary and I wouldn't teach it for fishing. Mind you for this test you need to do this!

Cheers Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
John Waters

CI test question

Post by John Waters »

There is a little tournament technique that may help (sorry for introducing the fifth horsemen of the apocalypse :D ). Always bring the line hand to the rod hand and clasp the line under the middle finger, never move the rod hand to the left to meet the line hand (if right handed caster) and only do the move on the forward cast.

John
swiftnick

CI test question

Post by swiftnick »

Thanks for all the answers.

I have been working on the move today and actually settled on making the move right after the stop on the back cast. Can you explain why it should be on the forward cast John?
The goal is of course too be able to make "the move" when ever it suits me... without messing up the cast.

Mikkel
Lasse Karlsson

CI test question

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Exellent advice John!

Mikkel, try it on the backcast, and then tell us why ;)

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
swiftnick

CI test question

Post by swiftnick »

There is of coarse the advantage of being able to see the loop unroll while making the move. Set Up a nice forward loop and IT is more assuring to make the move with the visual feedback from the loop. I also have a small tendency to haul a teeny bit when i try the move on the back cast. I Guess it's gonna be om the forward cast then. Thanks again John

The accuracy part is the one place where i don't look at my back cast...

Mikkel
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

CI test question

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Mikkel,

I think it would be quite difficult to put the line under the finger on the backcast, partly because it's not clearly in view but also the line doesn't easily trap there because your finger is upside-down!

One of the more important aspects of accuracy casting is to have in the back of your mind a target in the air behind you. The closer the target in front the higher the target above and behind. I imagine, and teach, that there is a bell up there and you have to hit it with the fly. It's really key here for my Jungle Fishing where the first thing that has to go through the fisherman's mind is back target.

Steve Rajeff one gave me the advice that he imagines that he is casting his loop through a tunnel towards the ring.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Teaching”