PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Pointing the reel at the target

Lou Bruno
Answers: 0

Post by Lou Bruno »

Read a couple of articles on fly casting accuracy, where it was mentioned "to point the reel towards the target" when aligning the fly to target.

A further explanation would certainly help...I'm thinking, is this technique similar to sighting in a rifle perhaps?

Lou
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

It might help alignment for sure. Particularly on backcast. I don’t intentionally align the reel, or sight with it, but it most certainly is aligned. I mostly focus on the backcast target in my mind, loop down a tunnel and really focussing completely on the target (not the rings which are a bloody distraction!).

Cheers Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

One of my problems is not ticking. When fishing I don’t hover and hovering with the trajectories I use for fishing causes ticks. So the trick is to hover higher and then alter trajectories for last backcast and delivery. That is where the practise time needs to be spent - at least for me - and I haven’t done anything like enough yet. Consequently I fire low and hover dangerously :cool:

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Lou Bruno

Post by Lou Bruno »

Paul
When trying to hit a target do you keep the rod vertical and off to the side...outside your casting shoulder?

I hover the fly, but to high above the target, need to sequentially get it lower, eliminating any wind effect.

How many techniques are there to get your distance...Haven't perfected the triangulation method, confusing to me. Hovering is the only method I use so far.

Lou
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I’m vertical and straight aligned. I don’t triangulate. I think it’s too complicated to work it out and the right distance just happens. We all have little things to visualise the cast working but the guys who are absolute best at this do it the most. If it’s “your thing” for 10 or 20 years then you are going to be pretty shit hot and hard to beat.

I’m a long way behind!!

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

There are a number of techniques for judging distance. Triangulation as you mention. Aiming at the font of the ring and smacking it in, aiming at the back of the ring and allowing the fly to fall in, and the one that I use most which is to aim dead centre and forget the bloody ring :)

I’m sure if you aim for leaves you get very close and often hit them. The biggest hurdle is to ignore the ring and aim at the target. Peter Hayes sticks his nose in the target, Steve Rajeff casts down a tunnel. I can’t remember if Steve has a vortex coming out of the centre of the ring or if that’s something that I Imagined. For me it’s really about focus and being completely familiar with your leader length.

It’s a given that everything has to be straight and trajectories aligned and loops tight.

What I find a little disturbing is that I’m often more accurate if I don’t hover and instead shoot straight to the target. This is not surprising really since that’s how I fish and I fish far FAR more than I cast at rings.

I worked out a while ago that I’m better off going around fast than making micro hover adjustments. This makes me very inconsistent. Sometimes I blitz it, and sometimes I blow up. However I am always fastest around the course!

I have a new technique this time which is using Reverse Torque instead of a 170 delivery. It will be interesting to see how this works. It’s been my Gourami delivery shot for 12 months and so is ingrained. Fly will be coming in first for sure. But I’m worried about ticks!!!

I’m not training this however. I’ll do a few seasons this week for leader familiarity etc. But at the moment I’m working on my Trout Distance delivery. Has been lots of fun tuning up and I’ve learned a few things.

When I have a houseboat then things will be different because I’ll have a set of accuracy targets and floodlights. Then I hope to find consistency.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Lou Bruno

Post by Lou Bruno »

Paul
Reasuring knowing I'm not the only one not trying triangulation. I'll be trying the smack down technique, this is for the FFF MCI exam.
Good info anyway, thanks.
Lou
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Lou,

Those are fixed distances. You can strip measure between them. But quite frankly they are more worried about your backcast, trajectories, tracking and loop control rather than about you hitting the target.

Certainly I wouldn’t triangulate. It’s more about teaching accuracy in fishing and most certainly not about competition techniques. So just make it look good!

Are you casting open or closed stance?

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Lou Bruno

Post by Lou Bruno »

Paul
Open, I'm right handed, I place right foot forward. I also tried the "measuring technique." Right now I use a combination of both and depend on hovering to finish with.

Lou
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Right handed casting and right foot forward is closed stance.

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)

Return to “Casting Sport”