PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Static Roll Cast - Hauling

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Graeme H
Answers: 0

Post by Graeme H »

Thanks for the answer Paul.

The quote is not an onerous requirement. It just means the loop can't be more than (say) 12' behind the caster (9' plus an arm's length), i.e. not a hybrid dynamic roll cast. The guy casting here is nowhere near that limit.

The third requirement is noted in the "general performance requirements" section at the start of the exam: "All presentation casts will roll out above the water." I had been working on the hypothesis that it means the loop will be out of the line before any part of the line touches water.

As I said earlier, I'd happily fish with that cast and I'm not knocking the cast. It's also about 3 metres further than the exam requires. Just asking about how it would fare in the exam ...

A floating tape measure? Mark a floating line and cast it out. :)

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

Lasse Karlsson wrote:Graeme, the cast is hauled, in the exam, hauling not allowed...

Cheers
Lasse
Task 13 b:

Task 13. Static Line Roll Casts, Dominant Side: Explain, then demonstrate (a) a static roll cast to 50 ft. (15.2 m), no hauling, no shooting line permitted, and (b) a static roll cast to 55 ft. (16.8m) with a single haul, shooting line is permitted.

We fail the task if no haul is used, but we don't need to shoot line if we don't want to.

Edit: missed the edit ... :D

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Bloody edits :p

First of, I'd like to actually measure the cast, Torsten says above 20, clip says about 20, and I don't recall that pond so big ;) , secondly, loop size is borderline, but really only measureable because we can pause the clip, in real time, it would probably pass. As for the last part, like Paul says, not really a requirement :)

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

BTW, I reckon I cheat at 13b. I lay out 60' of line and haul with no discernible improvement to the cast. I can reach 60' without the haul, so the haul is pulling in a bit of line and reaching about 57' ... ;)

I don't see anything in the exam that says the haul needs to make the cast better than it would be without it! :D

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

Thanks Lasse. That's a help.

Cehers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

The quote is not an onerous requirement. It just means the loop can't be more than (say) 12' behind the caster (9' plus an arm's length), i.e. not a hybrid dynamic roll cast. The guy casting here is nowhere near that limit.
This is not allowed in the EFFA test. Pure and simple no line can be taken behind the rod tip and it must hang down. I should know, I had to take the bloody test twice! It makes a huge difference.

Cheers, Paul

edit: I teach the static roll cast by reaching back with the rod tip to form the D-loop and have done since '96.
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Graeme H wrote:BTW, I reckon I cheat at 13b. I lay out 60' of line and haul with no discernible improvement to the cast. I can reach 60' without the haul, so the haul is pulling in a bit of line and reaching about 57' ... ;)

I don't see anything in the exam that says the haul needs to make the cast better than it would be without it! :D

Cheers,
Graeme
Having 50 out and shooting 5 is easier once practiced, I would go for that one ;)

And I would always go for better than adaquate, its like I told Lee back in the first world championships, we forget like a third of what we know when we step up to the line, and then try to make up for it with brugte force :D better to be above than at the mark...

Cheers
Lasse

Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Paul Arden wrote:
This is not allowed in the EFFA test. Pure and simple no line can be taken behind the rod tip and it must hang down. I should know, I had to take the bloody test twice! It makes a huge difference.

Cheers, Paul

edit: I teach the static roll cast by reaching back with the rod tip to form the D-loop and have done since '96.
I have never sat the EFFA test, but did sit the FFFE masters twice, wasn't told of for reaching back....

Then again, you where told of for having poor dress code too :D

Cheers
Lasse

Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

I'll see how that goes with the line I choose for the on-water tasks next time. If I end up with a Rio SH Spey line, that tactic will work well (34' head) but the line I used last time was the Snowbee Rollcast line (60' head with a 40' front taper) and shooting line was a pig if I didn't have all of that front taper outside the tip. Otherwise it was a wonderful line.

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Rio SH spey, make sure it's the 7 (really a 9) it flies like a rocket ;)
It's possible to pass all tasks with that line, though it really takes the piss on the "distance" tasks :oh:

Cheers
Lasse

Return to “Flycasting”