PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Navigating the Board

Moderator: Paul Arden

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Navigating the Board

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Guys,

I was wondering how you navigate the Board. I use Quick Links > Active Topics giving this query https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/se ... ive_topics for my daily navigation. In fact I normally keep this page open and refresh it from time to time.

It would be possible to avoid a click - as well as draw attention to this method for new members and unregistered readers - by linking to the active topics page from the Sexyloops front page as opposed to the Board index.

Also it's no doubt possible to have a list of latest posts on the FP, but it might be better to do this manually instead of automatically - or maybe just not at all :pirate:

Cheers, Paul

PS I really want to see new members here. So if like me you have people asking flycasting or fly fishing questions then please do point them towards the Board. Thanks!
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Graeme H
Answers: 0

Re: Navigating the Board

Post by Graeme H »

I have the "New Posts" link bookmarked. That's how I enter the site and rarely look at other links, which is why I sometimes miss posts. (If somebody posts something within five minutes of me jumping off the forum, it won't show up next time I visit.)

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I would love to find an App for the Board that gives notifications like Apps do for when new posts are made. But there isn’t one! The closest is tapatalk but everything I’ve read about that makes the Board insecure.

Best would be a SL App that notifies and integrates front pages, Ronan’s report, HTOC and the Board. But the costs for these things is around 5K now and they are expensive to keep updated. The casting app paid for itself and buying Akos’ share out. Didn’t really make any money - mind you it’s been great for rod sales!

Ultimately I’ll have an App developed but my next investment will be to bring all of the Sexyloops pages into the content management database. The main purpose of this is to make the pages mobile friendly but also the whole site more navigation friendly. Figuring out how to make the site navigable is quite a challenge but my inclination is to run with the glossary idea we started many years ago. http://www.sexyloops.com/glossary/

The SL glossary could be used to link pages, board discussions, PODs, FPs and so on. I think that would make this an incredible fly fishing resource. Most FFing Information can already be found within Sexyloops pages. But finding it is the challenge. Also I think when we build the glossary we will find out what we haven’t covered.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Incidentally a summary of threads on the Board would be incredibly useful. Maybe we could try to produce a joint statement that we can all agree on when a thread nears its conclusion? That would make it useful information for those who don’t follow every word. And also it would be useful for us to see where we agree and disagree.

It might even - date I say it - give us some structure to our research. :ninja:

It might be possible to place this at the very beginning of the topic or else in some other way. I’m not so keen on “locking” topics. I can also place these summaries back on Sexyloops - e.g. in the glossary.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Incidentally there is a "digests" extension that send emails out to Board members on a basis that they set (eg weekly) with summaries of topics https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... extension/

This might be useful for those members who don't login as frequently? Although I'm planning to do such a thing manually in a weekly Snapcast, so maybe that's a better option.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Announcements”