PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Hardy Zenith?

Moderators: Viking Lars, Magnus

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Hardy Zenith?

Post by Paul Arden »

No of course not :p

Rods I have liked include IMX6, XP5, the first Redington DFR 4&6 weights, TCR6 (not 5, for fishing), TCX6, STS5, EV2 5-weight, FSF9042. I've cast some really nice Fenwicks, but the last Fenwick I cast was over 20 years ago!

Not much in the current line-up to be honest, the ONE is good, but the 5 not so much. Oh I liked the Loomis Max Line Speed. Softish tip but very fast recovery. Streamdance - maybe the best Loomis I've cast.

Most manufacturers now are forced to bring out new "improved" rods out regularly, only because they are driven by sales. And because they bring them out quickly sometimes the individual models may not be better, or even as good! (That's my opinion anyway!)

Oh I really like the Helios too, but I personally have had a lot of beakage problems with them. Fishing wise, it's a fantastic rod, certainly one of the best out there.

I'm not overly familiar with the Hardy range, but now that they have a decent caster involved things are actually very good. They may have been a bit shakey 10 years ago :)

If you get rid of all the marketing crap, I don't think a hell of a lot has developed in ten years - apart from Hardy who went through a period of bringing out crap - although some companies have opted for marketing over quality and the life-time guarantee has caused some manufacturers to opt for robustness over finesse. It's a curious business; you can get what you pay for, but you can also get something that is all price and no quality!

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
saflyfish
Answers: 0

Hardy Zenith?

Post by saflyfish »

Thanks for the detailed reply Paul.You mentioned the EV2 5wt?Which rod is this?A scott?
Did you say you also like the gloomis streamdance glx Hls 5wt?
Ré_

Hardy Zenith?

Post by Ré_ »

saflyfish wrote:Thanks for the detailed reply Paul.You mentioned the EV2 5wt?Which rod is this?A scott?
Did you say you also like the gloomis streamdance glx Hls 5wt?
No, those were made by David Norwich.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Hardy Zenith?

Post by Paul Arden »

The EV2 was certainly one if the best 5 weights I've cast, and it was lighter than the GLX! But it was 2 piece.

Flycasting Definitions
saflyfish

Hardy Zenith?

Post by saflyfish »

Paul,does David Norwich have any awesome multi piece 5wts that you have cast and highly recommend?
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Hardy Zenith?

Post by Paul Arden »

I haven't cast one of David's rods in many years. At the time he did kindly make me a 4 piece EV2 in five class, but it turned out to be completely different rod. It turns out that 2 piece and 4 piece need different designs, which explained a hell of a lot to me when I looked at the Redington series in the late 90s.

I believe his business is up for sale and has been for about ten years! I did consider it at one time :p

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
saflyfish

Hardy Zenith?

Post by saflyfish »

Sorry one last question,how are the Dan Craft blanks?Do you have any experience with their 5wts?
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Hardy Zenith?

Post by Paul Arden »

The ones I've cast have been very similar to the TCR5 and were used in Shootouts were excellent. I've cast three of those - Daniel in Wales has one. I cast another that Camo Guy had in NZ which I found soft - but he had ringed it with Fujis. Apart from that I've had very experience with them. Oh I think Trevor made me one up which I have here. I'm sure someone else can give you much better advice!! :)

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
sms

Hardy Zenith?

Post by sms »

I have the old (the good) 3-piece signature V 905-3 (9' #5 and 3-pcs).
It is a brilliant rod. Very light and responsive. Medium fast action (bend shape) and fast recovery. Stiffness like most modern rods. Distance casting is as good or very close to the FT, but 3-pc design makes the lowest guide impossible to turn (unsanded blank so you need to keep the line off the blank) so I only use it for fishing.

Then I have the FT905-4 (9' #5 and 4-pcs). Super fast action (bend shape), fast recovery and stiff. Swing weight to stiffness -ratio feels very high. I use this rod most of my rods for fishing (my 15' and 18' DH rods see much more casting thou). Trout and salmon (#5 MED or Barrio for smaller flies. #6 GPX for large streamers and heavy flies), sea trout and light swoffing (both applications with 14g 10,5m hover shooting head). This is also my 5wt competition rod.
I'm here just for the chicks.

-Sakke

Return to “Tackle”