PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Using Video while teaching

Moderators: Paul Arden, Bernd Ziesche, Lasse Karlsson

Bernd Ziesche

Re: Using Video while teaching

Post by Bernd Ziesche » Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:39 pm

In Spain now I used video within a group of 15 students. No problem. It works so fast! Sometimes I film one, while talking to another student. Its mainly about how often you do, I think. Seeing one's one casting of course is great. I also have used the shadow of mine to check myself in sunny weather. Great to have a different view on stop positions, arc control and so on.
http://www.first-cast.de
The first cast is always the best cast.

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden » Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:42 pm

I’d like to see that mate. We should do a group together sometime or maybe if you get the SL meet we can try that with everyone involved.

I loved the idea that Walter had where you have multiple camera angles filming you and wear a head video unit to watch yourself in real time. Apparently you get motion sickness initially but after a while have an out of body experience. You probably need some really good drugs to make it all work properly. :p

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Malik

Post by Malik » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:08 pm

John Waters wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:25 am
Hi Paul,

I use and recommend an iPad and Hudl Technique and have a library of casting faults and corrections for onsite, side by side comparison. Works very well.

John
Hi John. I do the same. I like to use 2 Go Pro to film the student (simultaneous front and side angles) then I transfer the video to HUDL, via the IPad. At the end of the morning class I plug the ipad into a wide screen TV for group discussions with the students. Very effective. After the class I send them by email the hudl link of their videos. They appreciate it very much. Surprisingly, it is often the first time they see themselves casting, even when they are seasoned fly fishermen/women.
A “collateral” advantage of filming student is that filming generally exasperates their casting problems, so you can easy show them the problems and work on it.

Best regards

MALIK

John Waters

Post by John Waters » Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:38 am

Hi Greg and Malik,

It is a good system, I like both the side by side and the overlay comparison option and the angle calculation for body movement. As you do Malik, I use my iPad for real time stuff and use an overhead display for classroom discussion. It is also great for the Casting by Correspondence service I offer clients. Easy to use and very illustrative for technique review. I am currently looking for a system that collates vision from two or more iPads or cameras for split vision review. That would be a super teaching or self analysis tool. I'll let you know how I go.

John

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden » Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:53 am

The classroom teaching is fantastic. Mostly I use video however actually while teaching in the field (or more commonly on the water!). That’s why I need something that is pretty much instant, ie no copying media to other forms. I want to shoot a video of my student and have them shoot a video of me and we compare and move on. There are so many examples of this eg to fix excessive casting arc, body movement, haul length, drag etc etc. Generally I try to fix a problem in 2 or 3 ways and then if it’s not working to shoot some video. The time taken to shoot video is only a few minutes but I do find it interrupts the flow, so I use it sparingly when I think it will save time in the long run and make a significant step forward.

If that’s not cloning by the way I don’t know what is :laugh:

I think an iPad with a hood to block ambient light would be better than the phone I’m currently using. The Hudl app is excellent. I would like to see it simplified or maybe I just need to use it more. What I don’t want is a lesson to be full of fiddling around with apps - that’s distracting. It needs to be fast, simple, point done, now have a go.

I think what I’ll do is buy a new iPad this summer and a waterproof cover and hood. Build a fixed tripod position for it on the roof of the boat (hopefully it doesn’t attract lightning) and a library of casts that can be drawn on immediately. Then I only need shoot video of them, show them a comparison and we save time.

When I’ve built a casting library of moves I can share it if anyone wants.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Teaching”