PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Midge patterns

Moderator: Viking Lars

Cris

Midge patterns

Post by Cris » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:23 pm

Any suggestions on a good CDC midge pattern?

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Re: Midge patterns

Post by Paul Arden » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:12 am

For me if it’s size 22 or smaller they all look the same :p I actually did pretty well years ago on the San Juan tying stillwater emergers - Shipmans, Suspenders etc - on 28-32 hooks. But to be honest I don’t think pattern matters when this is overwhelmingly a size issue. I did have some really nice tiny flies that Jelko gave me in Bosnia that would fit your description. But a tropical storm liberated those from me!

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Cris

Post by Cris » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:04 pm

So my size 18-22 is a bit on the big side lol, need to fire up the magnifying overhead for these then I feel

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden » Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:01 pm

Depends on the midge species. And if we are talking Chironomid and where they are. On the UK reservoirs Chironomid/buzzers can be size 10, maybe even 8. Down to size 16 I would always use suspenders and not CDC.

I probably shouldn't have answered this because I've realised that I have stopped tying patterns. I'll just go and hide in a corner now :D

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Flytying”