PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Saltwater Fly Reels

Moderators: Sudesh Pursad, Morsie

sms
Answers: 0

Re: Saltwater Fly Reels

Post by sms »

Works from trout to tuna. You can tune the drag beyond the factory stuff by replacing the bellewille washers if you need more than standard. But that is not something most would need (I like VERY heavy drags, I’ve tuned my 9600B Mako drag too).
I'm here just for the chicks.

-Sakke
RSalar

Post by RSalar »

I just now read through the thread because I am currently looking for a 12wt SW reel. Although I have fished for stripers and blues along the New England coast with a 9wt Ive never targeting anything really big. I have plans to be in the Keys chasing tarpon in May so I’m looking for something capable. Before checking here I made a list of the top reels to compare features, weights, and prices: ABEL SDS, Loop Opti, Tibor Gulfstream, Mako 9550, Danielsson Control 8thirteen, Shilton SR12, Bauer RX7, Hatch, Galvin, and finally the Lamson Litespeed.

Love the look of the Abels— the Mako is definitely a workhorse— the Danielsson’s drag makes a lot of sense and is very interesting, the Tibor is literally a winner in the world record race, the shilton is super nice…. but I think of all of them I’m leaning towards the Lamson. It is the lightest of the bunch, the pickup speed with its 5” spool is great, it’s drag is supposedly fine now, and the price isn’t bad. They say they’ve fixed the leaky drag housing. In fact it’s been certified waterproof to 100’.

Has anyone tried one of the new ones? Your thoughts and suggestions are very much welcomed.

Thanks,

Ron
FFI - CCI
James9118

Post by James9118 »

If you want a budget option take a look at the Redington Behemoth - this has more drag 'out of the box' than my (much) more expensive saltwater reels.

James.
sms

Post by sms »

Don’t know the seal on new Litespeed M. Many sealed reels may be ok for quite deep submersion, but bad things start to happen when the spool starts to revolve.

A buddy of mine destroyed one behemoth in a few days in Florida with albies. The one way bearing couldn’t handle the long durations of high torque and warm climate. Just like allen key can destroy an allen head bolt, the corners get rounded.

Tarpon from a boat? IGFA or not?

-Sakke
RSalar

Post by RSalar »

sms wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 7:11 pm Tarpon from a boat? IGFA or not?
Yes from a boat — IGFA no. I hadn’t heard that about the sealed drag — but I have heard some of the record chasers use good ol’ unsealed cork drags — which work great if you aren’t burying them in the sand. KISS
FFI - CCI
RSalar

Post by RSalar »

RSalar wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:22 pm
sms wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 7:11 pm Tarpon from a boat? IGFA or not?
Yes from a boat — IGFA no. I hadn’t heard that about the sealed drag — but I have heard some of the record chasers use good ol’ unsealed cork drags — which work great if you aren’t burying them in the sand. The KISS principle at work
FFI - CCI
sms

Post by sms »

Ok, then you don’t need to mind about sealing really. But you probably would appreciate very powerful drag. And a really powerful drag is not too nice unless it is quick to adjust (one or maybe 1.5 turns).

-Sakke
Mangrove Cuckoo

Post by Mangrove Cuckoo »

The inglorious truth is that you really don't need the very high end reels to battle tarpon, even the big ones.

A large diameter is nice for retrieval, but the trade off is they are clunky. If you will be in a boat you will likely "run em down" after that first long run, so massive capacity isn't really necessary either.

As for drags, smooth is good, hence the popularity of cork and draw bars... but the real fight is close to the boat where your hands and fingers do the work, not the reel's drag.

If you want a new reel, by all means buy the best you can afford, but think long term and get something you might use more than the once a season tarpon trip.
With appreciation and apologies to Ray Charles…

“If it wasn’t for AI, we wouldn’t have no I at all.”
RSalar

Post by RSalar »

Mangrove Cuckoo wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:28 pm If you want a new reel, by all means buy the best you can afford,
Let’s assume that money is no object — which reel then?
FFI - CCI
sms

Post by sms »

For me that would be Mako. For me the drag adjustment is by far the best in the market. I saw a Trident video with some kind of review where they did not appreciate it and compared it Ross Evolution. They are worlds apart. Mako is one turn, rotates with just the right amount of resistance and you cannot stick your fingers into the spool in it so you can adjust it blindly without any fear. I often adjust the drag with my reel hand. I don’t do that with any other reel I have.
The only downside is the weight in my opinion. The drag could also have numbers so you would know the setting by looking. And of course the price is hefty.

-Sakke

Return to “Saltwater”