PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Question about tails

Moderator: Torsten

Tangled
Answers: 0

Re: Question about tails

Post by Tangled »

Is it also possible that a knot could be formed during false casting by starting the back cast before the tailed line/leader has fully rolled out. The tailed loop could then overtake the fly?
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

I think a lot of “wind knots” are caused during this transition. Starting the cast too soon can result in a few things - lost fly, whip crack, even a complete forward cast failure. However *only* starting the forward cast too soon I don’t think will result in a wind knot. Not unless somehow the fly touches the leader. It obviously is going to get pretty close since it is actually connected! I think this is why we see a lot of wind knots very close to the fly; if it hinges slightly, catches the line, then the next casting stroke can turn it into a knot.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

I've made a video capturing how the knots form during a tailing loop. I'll find it later and post it.

When the legs of the cast collide, the loop's progress is impeded by the friction of the fly leg against the rod leg. The leader and remaining fly leg are still travelling at their initial speed though, and the fly catches the loop and sometimes goes through it forming a knot.

As Paul said, the knot tightens later.

If you are paying attention and see the collision, you can prevent the knot tightening by retrieving the leader and pulling the knot apart.

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

FFi CCI
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Excellent video Graeme!

Flycasting Definitions
Tangled

Post by Tangled »

Thanks, that's pretty clear!
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Imagine the same thing happening but on a smaller scale. Instead of wool let’s put a fly on there with a bit of weight. Put the fly contact happening near the end of the leader, it loops around the leader and the next cast tightens the knot.

Another interesting thing to consider is when casting with just the leader and no fly/fluff, which is how I’ve practised in long grass many times, at the end of the session there are usually multiple overhand knots at the end of the leader. It’s a “low tension” area and yet these knots are super tight.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Low tension area, until one messes up the timing, and the end gets super tension. Which happens for everyone practicing distance 🙂

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
jarmo
Answers: 1

Post by jarmo »

Graeme: that is one great video, much appreciated.

Return to “Flycasting Physics”