PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

WC2022

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: WC2022

Post by Paul Arden »

They should give you a microphone Michal. You have some under-utilised talents. :cool:
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Michal Duzynski
Answers: 0

Post by Michal Duzynski »

Next time airline loose my luggage, I might ask for a microphone, as without my gear there is not much to do for me on a platform :whistle:
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

Half of the events in the Fly Casting World Championships namely, Trout Accuracy and the two spey events require water. You can cast the accuracy on grass as is done for the Fly Accuracy in Inland Championships, but not the spey and that needs to be catered for. I don't cast the Spey events but it was great to watch in Norway and I was really pleased to see the number of casters competing.

I like the fact that we have both grass and water, the caster can choose which event to attend, or as is starting to happen, casters are competing in both.

Vive la difference,

John
Michal Duzynski

...so Spey it is
Just wondering what's happening to spey competitors during let's say
Pitea Open
BFCC
Italian Championships
Nordic Open
Indoor World Cup

Is there something for them, or so they have separate spey events at different times, and called differently, or do they practice on their own and wait 2 years for the WC?
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

Don't know Michal, I view Spey the same as Trout Distance or any other event. All are worthy of equal status.

I practise on my own and wait two years for a WC. You do the same, don't you? Not sure what you are suggesting should change for 2024.

Are you saying the Spey events should be dropped from future Fly Casting World Championships?

John
Michal Duzynski

Hi John,
No, No, dropping nothing.
I was just wondering, after looking at the ICSF WC if our WC can be run on the stadium/oval, over the grass.
Finding proper body of water with accommodation next to it doesn't seem easy.
That was my main point- why over the water with inaccurate measurements, and spey would be the main reason to keep it together over the water.
It could be call WC with light tackle instead of fishing tackle.

I don't know how, but heard that spey events could be run indoors.

Cheers
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

Hi Michal,

I remember the same debate in the 70s. The ICF WCs in fly accuracy, plug accuracy and fly distance in Scarborough England in 1973 were all on water, plug distance and surf distance events were on grass on a nearby field. CIPS events were on grass. Same issues, same options. The grass proponents won the day, that's why all the inland casting, fly and plug, has been on grass since then 1976. Water was reintroduced in 2010 with the inaugural fly casting WCs. As an ICSF caster for many decades, I love the fact that there is water and grass, people can choose.

Yes, venues are a problem but I think the solutions so far have been great. I've only been to Cumbria and Glaustablikk but loved all aspects of both. I cast both land and water and fully acknowledge the skill level of casting fly distance over water. It is different from grass and requires different training but I reckon the difference should be promoted and preserved. So easy to just say - water venues are too few; skill level is too high, I keen ticking on my backcast. Let's just cast the fly distance events on grass outdoors or, on artificial turf indoors.

That's not an option I would support. As long as we can continue to find venues then water gets my support. The issue for me is the impact of the organisational work that falls on too few people. That is the major issue confronting the sport in the near future, not what we call the event, whether we change the rules, distance measurement processes etc etc.

John

Return to “Casting Sport”