PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Roy Christie

Moderator: Viking Lars

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Roy Christie

Post by Paul Arden »

I was reading on FB that Roy has died? Is that true? I don’t believe anything I read on there of course. So I thought I’d better check before giving my condolences.

Thanks,
Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Re: Roy Christie

Post by Paul Arden »

Make hay while the sun shines. I liked Roy very much. He reminded me of a strange combination of an anarchist and a gentlemen! Brilliant fly tyer and conservationist. I remember running into Roy at one of the BFF meets and he put a block of SF in my hand!! Quite a few articles of his here on Sexyloops. Very surprised by the news. Life is just too short to do all the things you want.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Biology
Answers: 0

Post by Biology »

Hi Paul - yes, it's still very raw around here. I keep a low profile these days but wanted to post here, first spoke with Roy around 2006/7 after he tracked me down on this board, well the old board. He saw we were living in the village he was raised in so he headed over from W. London shortly after. We've likely spent 2,000+ hrs on stream since then. He'd been joking for the last 4-5 seasons that this was his last. It's a blow. Rest assured, despite failing health he remained charmingly anarchic to the end. Missing him badly, we were due on-stream Wed 20th to see the season out one last time... Andy
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

During lockdown Roy posted me messages from time to time. The last one being the shock absorber test, but I won’t post that one :p Instead…
92D18832-9478-4F16-836C-CCEB1BCA5517.jpeg
And that’s how I’ll remember Roy, first and foremost his sense of humour.

Let’s hope we all get to meet again in some great fly fishing Valhalla (with new shock absorbers).

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
daniel

Post by daniel »

This is very sad to hear. I met him once at Coggeshall with you Paul. You told me Rev Para was coming and i didnt know what you meant!
If my memory serves me right we drank far too much and stayed up very late tying ridiculously small flies. Think i still have some flies here he gave me. Great guy. Very sad news :(
Viking Lars

Post by Viking Lars »

I'm sad to hear about this - Roy was one of the good ones. I think I have a handful of flies Roy gave me and if I can find them, I'll take some photos and maybe write an FP on the thoughts behind his flies that he was happy to share. Both flies and thoughts.

Lars
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I’ll dig them out too. They are actually unique. I haven’t met anyone else who actually tied flies to float hooks on their sides – and other strange angles (intentionally that is!). I’m sure he sent me some sketches at one point. I remember him telling me he would sketch the fly before he tied it.

It’s a shame that we talk more about this stuff when people die and not when they are alive. There’s a lesson in that.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Biology

Post by Biology »

We gave Roy the warmest of send offs last Monday. He always spoke very fondly of you Paul. Andy
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Thanks Andy.

Flycasting Definitions
t.z.

Post by t.z. »

Just stumbled upon this thread. That was bad news. R.I.P. Roy ...

Return to “Flytying”