PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Fly casting / lure casting intersection

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: Fly casting / lure casting intersection

Post by Paul Arden »

Got it - thanks John. Really enjoyed that first video you posted - I learned a lot there. I hadn’t even seen the second technique! I can certainly see how that helps now :)

I’ve actually got a spinning rod in the boat. I brought it out to try to catch a sunken drone, and then Ashly started fishing with it and now it’s fitted with a castable depth finder! I’ll have a play with both those techniques when back on the ship. Just heading ashore now.

Thanks, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
John Waters
Answers: 0

Post by John Waters »

Hi Paul,

The European technique works best with short but stiff rod. If the tip has too much flex, you get bounce and that stuffs up the smoothness of the plug path. It's the same effect as an excessive power application on a fly rod. I've even had knots tied in the line just above the plug. Casting knots are not unique to fly casting leader tippets.

Forearm movement, elbow movement, single vertical plane etc etc ..... Not that much different to fly casting.

John
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

The two strokes are really quite different, John. What are the pros and cons of each?

Thinking about it I have seen the “European style” many years ago at an APGAI meet. It also reminds me of a technique I was shown when casting “trotting” gear. But neither to that skill level.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Paul Arden wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:05 pm Yep that’s the full pendulum of course. There is a half pendulum cast where the weight is swung in, out, and cast.

Yes, know it, that was the first cast the local surfcasting experts told me to do :blush:

It was your spinny spinny all around the tip thing that threw me ;)

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
andrewparkeruk

Post by andrewparkeruk »

Thank you @John, that Adam Royter video is excellent!

Andrew
andrewparkeruk

Post by andrewparkeruk »

I found this other Adam Royter where he includes a longer fishing cast; I think the technique looks similar to that in @Lasse’s clip
andrewparkeruk

Post by andrewparkeruk »

Paul Arden wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 3:13 amThinking about it I have seen the “European style” many years ago at an APGAI meet
Given @Bendix’s recent post ‘Demise of flyfishing’ where he mentions the popularity of finesse lure fishing (BFS), the game angler instructor organisations may have missed an opportunity when they dropped that discipline. Somehow tho’ I can’t see a chap in a green fleece and neoprene wellies cutting it against Angler Saito :cool:
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Wow, thanks for the share Andrew!
Guess the flyfishing forgot to keep up in the funk, and lost out :-D
That made me wanna dust of my multi reels and make a short rod out of spare part asap..

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Torsten

Post by Torsten »

Hi,

a few German teaching videos for the ICSF events 3,4,5,7:

Ev.3
"Castingsport - eine Einführung ( Disziplin 3: Gewicht Präzision )"
"Casting Sport - An Introduction ( Discipline 3: Spinning Accuracy Arenberg Target )"

Ev.4
"Castingsport - eine Einführung ( Disziplin 4: Gewicht Ziel )"
"Castingsport - an introduction ( Discipline 4: Spinning Accuracy )"

Ev.5
"Castingsport - eine Einführung ( Disziplin 5: Gewicht Weit Einhand 7,5g )"
"Castingsport - an introduction ( Discipline 5: Spinning Distance Singlehand 7,5g )"

Ev. 7
WM2021-D7menfinale

Paul:
The two strokes are really quite different, John. What are the pros and cons of each?
I've tried both and would say the timing is easier to get right with the long pendulum, e.g. if you release too late with the short you'd hit the ground just in front of you. Somehow I've managed to win a few medals in ev. 3/4, although I'm not spin fishing, but I've found it needs a lot of practise, when I've done nothing for a few months my average points drop immediately. Ev. 5 is an interesting sport, but really too far from fishing IMHO, I never learned this properly - I found Ev. 7 easier, most use a similar technique compared to "full pendulum".

Torsten.
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

Paul Arden wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 3:13 am The two strokes are really quite different, John. What are the pros and cons of each?

Thinking about it I have seen the “European style” many years ago at an APGAI meet. It also reminds me of a technique I was shown when casting “trotting” gear. But neither to that skill level.

Cheers, Paul
Hi Paul,

The US technique is faster and throws a flatter trajectory. You tend to throw at the target. The European technique is slower and the trajectory more "looping", the plug generally drops onto the target, still with speed, but because the plug follows more of a curved path to the target, I think it is more visible whilst in the air. It also allows you to cast the plug past the target and then stop the plug and allow it to pull back and down to the target, a strategy often used in tournaments. The US technique does not allow the same time to adjust because it is generally faster and flatter. The European technique is easier to learn. Results indicate the European technique is more accurate, far more perfect scores are thrown with that technique than the US technique, but that needs to be viewed in respect of the fact that far more casters use the European technique. I also think the European technique is a more solid technique to use when the pressure is on, because it allows for the absorption of the all those movement jerks and stutters that occur when the pressure mounts eg. the final of a world championships when only a perfect score will win a medal. The tolerances allowed by the relatively short, truncated movement range of the US technique make it less forgiving in those situations. In adverse side winds the longer, pre- release path of the plug, that defines European technique, can be more difficult to control than that of the US technique in the same conditions but overall, the European technique is the better for spinning accuracy.

Plug accuracy is far more demanding than fly accuracy casting because there are no false casts to recover an error from, it is all or nothing in one cast. The movement in fly distance casting is more complex than plug distance casting, but the fact that you have only one chance to win in plug distance makes it challenging, but great fun.

I notice far more use of the European technique in competition bream spin fishing events here in Australia, than used to be the case. Another example of a tournament casting development being adopted in fishing. Goes to show casting sport technique and fishing casting technique are really the same thing.

John

Return to “Flycasting”