PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Stopless.

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: Stopless.

Post by Paul Arden »

Sorry Jarmo, I ended up at immigration on Tuesday and only remembered again today. I shall do this tomorrow morning. I’ll make four measurements. Max carry Closed Stance weight front foot, Closed Stance weight back foot, Open Stance Distance. 170 for me at Sea level is around 95’, but I’ll measure this too.

I’ll use the HT6 and not the HT10.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
jarmo
Answers: 1

Post by jarmo »

Paul Arden wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 1:05 pm Sorry Jarmo, I ended up at immigration on Tuesday and only remembered again today. I shall do this tomorrow morning. I’ll make four measurements. Max carry Closed Stance weight front foot, Closed Stance weight back foot, Open Stance Distance. 170 for me at Sea level is around 95’, but I’ll measure this too.

I’ll use the HT6 and not the HT10.
Sounds almost perfect! The only problem I see is you being sorry.

Have fun and stay safe,
Jarmo
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

67’ carry closed stance weight front foot.
75’6 carry closed stance weight back foot
86’ open stance distance
93’6 170.

All of those I find quite possible but verging on the uncomfortable. I would normally switch slightly before that.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I was teaching one of my Zoom students Stopless yesterday. This is a still from one of the drills I use. From it you can see a few things; hand position and orientation, arm position and the fact that there is no forced “stop”.
3C4EF46D-6A45-428D-92ED-86795DD3D337.jpeg
The line is up and away of course.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
James9118
Answers: 0

Post by James9118 »

Paul - you should put some line slick in your beard - I think this will work well :sorcerer: :pirate:
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

:D :D

Flycasting Definitions
Dirk le Roux

Post by Dirk le Roux »

Paul Arden wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 2:31 pm
3C4EF46D-6A45-428D-92ED-86795DD3D337.jpeg
The line is up and away of course.

Cheers, Paul
In which ways do the 170 forward casts differ from the back ones? From Paul's and other experts' videos, I never see the rod end up angled down like that after a forward cast.

Bouncing bombs are good for back casts but not for forward casts?

All the best,
Dirk
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Dirk,

Good question, however firstly I don’t see it quite like that. I don’t finish like that on a normal 170 backcast, that’s just an over-exaggeration exercise to get the Stopless feel and positioning. I do a similar teaching exercise on the forward cast too, with the rod tip finishing anchored down to the water. Then, after the two points and Stopless deliveries are in place, the doming and excessive casting arc is narrowed. But the feel should still remain.

Going from the stop on OSD to stopless 170 is a difficult transition for many people. So breaking down and exaggerating both front and back stopless casts, first separately and then together, is one teaching approach I use.

I suspect we don’t see the “bouncing bomb” as frequently on the front cast because of a number of reasons. One reason undoubtedly is because the line is being shot. If I shoot line on a 170 backcast when making a backhand delivery cast, then I don’t see the “bouncing bomb” configuration to the same degree either.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
jarmo
Answers: 1

Post by jarmo »

Paul Arden wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:07 am 67’ carry closed stance weight front foot.
75’6 carry closed stance weight back foot
86’ open stance distance
93’6 170.

All of those I find quite possible but verging on the uncomfortable. I would normally switch slightly before that.
Thanks a lot, much appreciated.

The difference between closed stance weight fwd/back is intriguing. In your video, this does not seem to come from weight shift ("rocking"), but rather from a bit more elbow movement and drift (after backcast).

Have fun and stay safe,
Jarmo
VGB

Post by VGB »

I suspect we don’t see the “bouncing bomb” as frequently on the front cast because of a number of reasons. One reason undoubtedly is because the line is being shot.
I’m seeing it much more on the front but I found that easier to learn than the backcast, where it is there but to a much lesser degree and less consistently. I try for a cricket bowling action on the forward cast and it clicked immediately.

Regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching

Return to “Flycasting”