PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

A different (?) view on rod-design.

Moderators: Viking Lars, Magnus

RSalar
Answers: 0

Re: A different (?) view on rod-design.

Post by RSalar »

VGB wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 12:43 pm. I doubt that any of those videos or instruction techniques have come from this side of the pond.
Hi Vince,

I don’t know about that. Have you searched YouTube lately for casting videos? I think they are made pretty much everywhere around the globe. I even saw one guy making casting videos from a houseboat in Malaysia. ;)

Talk about needing fishing police — how about those guys that dress like they just walked out of an Orvis Catalog — everything matching, wading stick, nets, a vest with a million pockets, 12 spools of tippet material, clippers, plyers, and fly dressing dangling. And then they jump into the pool beside you and whip the pool to a froth with a bunch of false casts hitting the water — guaranteed that guy watches his backcast and it still gets tangled in the weeds. :D :D

—Ron
FFI - CCI
VGB

Post by VGB »

RSalar wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 5:33 pm . I even saw one guy making casting videos from a houseboat in Malaysia.
How many salmon did he catch in his video?
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
RSalar

Post by RSalar »

VGB wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:16 pm
RSalar wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 5:33 pm . I even saw one guy making casting videos from a houseboat in Malaysia.
How many salmon did he catch in his video?
It was so dark I couldn’t tell. But he was clean cut and well dressed so I assume he was a decent salmon fisherman.
FFI - CCI
nicholasfmoore

Post by nicholasfmoore »

The newbie fisherman don’t catch many fish because they make too many false casts and they watch their backcasts.
How about casting backhanded? You’re basically watching your back cast then 😉

The new anglers don’t catch many fish because they have just started and don’t know how to read a river. Why would watching a backcast cause someone to not catch many fish? I agree with the false casting, but then again i Spey cast for sea trout and salmon because I’ll end up in a tree, and it’s the most efficient way of changing direction, even if there are open fields behind. 🙂

All the best
Nick M

"Memento Piscantur Saepe" :upside:
RSalar

Post by RSalar »

It's just an observation from a very limited perspective (watching people fishing through rotating salmon pools). Obviously not everyone that watches their back cast is a newbie -- sometimes you have to in order to put your back cast though a hole in the trees of something. But I do think that it makes sense, generally speaking, to keep your eyes looking where the fish are and not looking backwards.
FFI - CCI

Return to “Tackle”