PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

A different (?) view on rod-design.

Moderators: Viking Lars, Magnus

RSalar
Answers: 0

Re: A different (?) view on rod-design.

Post by RSalar »

VGB wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 5:09 am
Lasse Karlsson wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 3:30 am Don't feed the troll John 🙂

Cheers
Lasse
Yep, good call
Hi Vince, It may or may not be a good call. It could be that I am a very talented troll or it may be that some people are easily triggered. In either case it is a fact that newbie fly fishermen tend to watch their backcasts. And they probably should be watching their backcasts — and obviously I should have been watching mine because I’ve had a shit back cast for 50 years. I have already admitted that I recently started watching my back cast because I was asked to do so. And even though I fought it at the time, I willingly admit now that it was the best casting advice I was ever given! I love to watch my back cast now — and it is starting to look pretty sexy if I do say so myself! It’s really fun gratifying to watch it … but I will only do it when no one else is looking :p There will be no public displays of back cast watching by me!

Here is another newbie move. Let’s see who gets triggered by this one: Too much false casting. Lots of false casting screams NEWBIE!

Maybe the world champion caster makes lots of false casts — that’s fine but I talking about fishing not casting in a tournament.

Cheers,

Ron
FFI - CCI
VGB

Post by VGB »

Tangled wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 8:34 am In the '50 years ago manual' it would tell you to tuck the butt into your Barbour's sleeve and do 10 to 2.
I've seen an instructor (recently) use a velcro strap.
Yep, imagine having to strap it on every time you go fishing :D
On this particular day I tried many things, explaining (the guy was a civil engineer so understood the physics of what we were trying to do), demonstrating, breaking the stroke into parts, and shouting "windscreen wiper" at him when he forgot. He was fairly competent after a while - competent enough to chuck 30' of line and catch a fish.
I tend to teach "Old Way, New Way" because fixing one fault at a time is like painting the Forth Road bridge, you never finish the job. I separate casting and fishing, also avoiding where possible, coaching while they are doing something else. This is all to do with working memory and attentional focus. "Windscreen wiper" is a good external cue and will stick with him.
We forget how alien the whole thing is to someone who hasn't touched a rod before.
Depends how often you are teaching, I completely avoid instructor or technical speak because it really isn't needed. You can do a lot with scaling existing actions and using analogies but we spend too much time talking about hard skills and not the soft ones. For example, motivating long term students, avoiding monotonous drills and maintaining novelty.

Regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
VGB

Post by VGB »

Not triggered Ron but just bored with the same old hamster wheel of bend and feel. If you have belief, please crack on with it but I am not going to waste any more bandwidth waiting for the real Ron Salar to stand up.
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

RSalar

Post by RSalar »

VGB wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 10:41 am Not triggered Ron but just bored with the same old hamster wheel of bend and feel. If you have belief, please crack on with it but I am not going to waste any more bandwidth waiting for the real Ron Salar to stand up.
Hi Vince — I’m glad you are not triggered and just bored. I have found that when discussing any controversial topic that it is best to stick to the actual concepts and not get into personalities. The old ad hominem fallacy theory. Calling someone or insinuating that they are a troll or suggesting that they are not real, for example. That is not productive and obviously adds nothing of value to the discussion.

You have every right to your opinion and I have a right to mine. We are both good people (I assume) and everyone is here to learn. I am sure we have more in common than we have differences. This is supposed to be light and fun. Let’s work together to keep it that way. ;)

Cheers,

Ron (it’s really me)
FFI - CCI
VGB

Post by VGB »

RSalar wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 9:42 am In either case it is a fact that newbie fly fishermen tend to watch their backcasts.
Okay, let’s try actual concepts, where does this “fact” come from? I can’t recall a single “newbie” that automatically looked at their backcast in 30 years of fly fishing.

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

VGB wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 9:03 am
Paul Arden wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 8:49 am Exactly. It’s not 100% sight.
Nobody has made that claim
I’m not sure how you can determine what the percentage is for feel, sight, hearing. Any idea how they determined this for football kicking? Or is it just a number they pulled out the sky?

I personally think it mostly is visual but flycasting without feel is equally as ineffective as flycasting without sight. Take the cheese out of the macaroni and it’s not macaroni cheese.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
VGB

Post by VGB »

I guess football is easy, time in contact with the ball is minimal. Most of the tasks are against a target and they limit available information with blindfolds or blinkers and calculate performance reduction over a large number of attempts to make it statistically relevant. The findings are then peer reviewed by other scientists. How individuals use their sight is done with eye tracking instrumentation and is quite fascinating but geeky.
I personally think it mostly is visual
Happy with that. 👍

RSalar

Post by RSalar »

VGB wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 11:40 am
RSalar wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 9:42 am In either case it is a fact that newbie fly fishermen tend to watch their backcasts.
Okay, let’s try actual concepts, where does this “fact” come from? I can’t recall a single “newbie” that automatically looked at their backcast in 30 years of fly fishing.
Hi Vince,

I may have a skewed perspective of this and may not be the same as yours. The Salar in my little handle thing nickname comes from the fact that my primary target species has been the Atlantic salmon. I learned to fly cast on a salmon river and that is where I do 90% of my fly fishing. There are “public” pools and “private” pools. The public pools attract a lot of fishermen and as a general rule these fisherman “rotate” through the pool. One cast, one step, and keep moving down river while fishing. A line of fishermen is thusly formed and since the pool is only so long there is generally a waiting area. You wait your turn and then you get into the river behind the last guy and start fishing. One cast, one step as you work your way down through the pool. (I hate this kind of fishing BTW) But there is a very popular public pool near our camp in New Brunswick. We go there to see what is going on. How many fish are being caught? How many fishermen are fishing? How high is the water? Etc. We can watch the entire line of fishermen at once from the road that is up on the high bank that runs along the pool. It is a lot of fun to watch when the fishing is good. So I have watched a lot of fishermen cast in my 50 years of watching from this perspective. The best fishermen (the 20% that catch 80% of the fish) all cast basically the same way. After their wet fly has swung across the pool they make one strong backcast (usually with a haul) and one long straight forward cast (again with a haul). We don’t use Spey rods! Not sure why — probably because salmon fishermen are stuck in their ways.

Anyway the most important thing to do, if you want to be successful at catching an Atlantic salmon, is to watch the fly as it swings. I have seen fish swirl at a fly and the fisherman didn’t see it and just took a step and kept moving. The fly has to pass by the salmon in exactly the right spot. So if you miss that swirl and take a step you missed an opportunity to actually hook that fish. And not only should you watch your fly, you should keep watching the river during your back cast…. Especially if you swirled a fish — but even if you didn’t you should keep watching just in case a fish swirls at something. You want to mark that spot and get a cast to that fish.

The newbie fisherman don’t catch many fish because they make too many false casts and they watch their backcasts. They probably took a lesson and their instructor told them to watch their back cast, or something… maybe they watched a YouTube video, I don’t know where else they would learn that. False casting is just as bad, because it wastes valuable time. You want to maximize the time that your fly is in the water. It’s a total waste of time — unless you are dry fly fishing to a marked fish. Then that is all that matters. That’s when your only goal is to get a fly to land in that one spot (the fish’s cone of vision). But I see guys false casting while wet fly fishing at that public pool all the time. Maybe I shouldn’t call them newbies — maybe I should just call them poor salmon anglers. Watching the back cast and false casting are the most common faults that I see.

Does this correspond to anything you can relate to in your fishing experience?

—Ron
FFI - CCI
VGB

Post by VGB »

We don't have that situation here at all, nor anywhere I have ever fished. Possibly, the nearest equivalent are stillwaters/resevoirs but people are mostly fixed in place and don't watch their back cast. Agree about the false casting but looking at the backcast is not a natural response and traditional teaching is square stance, looking forward, book under the arm and is often taught that way. There are long standing arguments, even form the instructor world that it is impossible to watch your backcast because it screws with tracking. I doubt that any of those videos or instruction techniques have come from this side of the pond.

Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

We have similar fishing places here, but a overhead cast will have your fly in a tree before you have a chance to play feelyweely with your trouser snake, speycasting is what most do. Doesn't need a twohanded rod though...

Imagine not going out of ones way to offend, ridicule and trying to trigger people who offer help, this would have been a much nicer campfire the last month and a half. Instead one misses out on learning stuff..

Yeah, spend the weekend competing, explaining why competition casting actually have a huge benefit for fishing to both the local newspaper and the regional television, giving demos to salmon fishers about loads of interesting stuff, and getting some nice fresh air. Sadly only to come home and have a look on the one place on the net that used to be where you didn't have to explain why getting better has a huge benefit, and seeing several posts ridiculing the best casters because dadadum tizzzzz we are talking fishing casts.....

Love the fishing police, almost as friendly as the spanish inqusition :wanker:

Peace out
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)

Return to “Tackle”