PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Changing task constraints

Moderators: Paul Arden, Bernd Ziesche, Lasse Karlsson

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: Changing task constraints

Post by Paul Arden »

I’m pretty sure PMP was army! Super chap I saw him for a lesson before I took APGAI. I learned to Spey Cast from his book. There were unfortunately some glaring holes in his casting theory but it’s still a good read.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson
Answers: 0

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

VGB wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:03 am Hi John

Perhaps an event where the required outcome is to deliver the casting movement as slow as possible, whilst still achieving the desired outcome?

Regards

Vince
Can you figure out a way of scoring that required outcome, I am sure it could be a thing. Preferably by someone not proffesionel or by fancy expensieve equipment 🙂

The Danish casting games, thought up by Poul Jorgensen, a flytier, has the pile cast with the fly landing in a ring...

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
VGB

Post by VGB »

Lasse Karlsson wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:19 pm Can you figure out a way of scoring that required outcome, I am sure it could be a thing. Preferably by someone not proffesionel or by fancy expensieve equipment 🙂

The Danish casting games, thought up by Poul Jorgensen, a flytier, has the pile cast with the fly landing in a ring...

Cheers
Lasse

Hi Lasse

I don’t know how much FFI assessors cost ;) but I would need fancy equipment:
Task 8. Casting 40ft (12.2m), demonstrate slow, medium and fast false casting.
Has anyone tried to translate the Danish games to an international level competition?

Regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
VGB

Post by VGB »

If fly casting is ultimately measurable just by absolute distance and accuracy, why aren’t assessments and casting awards based on 2 tasks?

I guess if the task is smartly designed, they could both be done in 1 cast.
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

VGB wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:08 am
Lasse Karlsson wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:19 pm Can you figure out a way of scoring that required outcome, I am sure it could be a thing. Preferably by someone not proffesionel or by fancy expensieve equipment 🙂

Cheers
Lasse

Hi Lasse

I don’t know how much FFI assessors cost ;) but I would need fancy equipment:
Task 8. Casting 40ft (12.2m), demonstrate slow, medium and fast false casting.
Has anyone tried to translate the Danish games to an international level competition?

Regards

Vince
Hi Vince

No two FFI assessors would be able to score equally in my experience :p so fancy equipment it is, and thus not viable for a competition..

First time I tried the Danish casting games, we where four different nationalities at least, does that count?

I used some of the posts when writing the Danish championships, those are open for everyone (though you need a danish social security number to become champion) we've had several swedes enter during the years, so I guess they count too?

Onwards and upwards to infinity

Cheers
Lasse

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I enjoy all casting competitions. Single Handed Spey Presentations would be fun! Casting Games for me at at the core of teaching. Make a fun game out of something and learning is more enjoyable.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

VGB wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:10 am If fly casting is ultimately measurable just by absolute distance and accuracy, why aren’t assessments and casting awards based on 2 tasks?

I guess if the task is smartly designed, they could both be done in 1 cast.
You'd need a very smart assessor, and someone with very good arguing skills 🤣
And take out that man is falible...

Cheers
Lasse

Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Paul Arden wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:04 pm I enjoy all casting competitions. Single Handed Spey Presentations would be fun! Casting Games for me at at the core of teaching. Make a fun game out of something and learning is more enjoyable.

Cheers, Paul
16th January, first time in agreement... must go for a walk now....

:D

Cheers
Lasse

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Wow… so early in the year? This must be a record!

Flycasting Definitions
VGB

Post by VGB »

Lasse Karlsson wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:21 pm You'd need a very smart assessor, and someone with very good arguing skills 🤣
And take out that man is falible...
So many variables to account for :D :D

I also think both of us could manage an international games just with our immediate family but some of mine like odd shit like hanging off the side of mountains on bits of string.
Paul Arden wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:04 pm I enjoy all casting competitions. Single Handed Spey Presentations would be fun! Casting Games for me at at the core of teaching. Make a fun game out of something and learning is more enjoyable.
That’s one way of engaging the general fishing public in competition. I don’t know if you have seen the Film “The Lost World of Mr Hardy”? There’s a short piece where the Casting Club of Paris is having an accuracy competition to targets under a bush. It’s not long enough to make out how they are attacking the problem but I was desperate to watch it because it had real world application. A games with no notification of what the event is and with supplied fishing equipment to level the playing field would be a good day out and might engage some anglers, who may want to see other people solving real world fishing problems.

Looking at the learning element, competition, assessment and teaching casts should be based on a justifiable requirement. The requirement should state what outcome you want to achieve and the justification should state why you need that outcome, and if it is essential or desirable. If you cannot do that in my day job you run the risk of getting accused of running a gold plated science project, I guess in the casting world the equivalent would be an accusation of being on an ego trip. The games/tasks should be designed to avoid that. Which should take us back to the original question of what the requirement and justification is for the following? I don’t believe it is just accuracy and distance
For example, I teach Closed Stance Accuracy, Open Stance Distance, [Belgian/Oval] and 170. I believe that the contrast between styles helps each one. I do other things too of course, particularly “breaking” a style to add other dimensions, but I find that this contrast between resolute styles to be highly beneficial,

One can also do the same thing with the “stops” ie forced stop, pull-back and stopless
Regards
Vince

Return to “Teaching”