PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Rods fresh and saltwater

Moderators: Sudesh Pursad, Morsie

Glenda
Answers: 0

Rods fresh and saltwater

Post by Glenda »

dumb question - please forgive me.... :blush:

I am moving to QLD next week and wondering if I can use my freshwater fly rods (6wts 8'6" and 9') to fish estuaries .... I understand there is not much in the way of freshwater fly fishing in QLD and will need to take to swof'ing (if that is still an acceptable term).

If it is okay, do I need to thoroughly clean the equipment after each session? Do I need to use a heavier line than normal? Anyone got a saltwater fly rod they want to sell? :D

as I said, dumb question but I have rarely fished salt water....

thanks Glenda
"my biggest worry is that when I am dead and gone my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it". ......Koos Brandt
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Rods fresh and saltwater

Post by Paul Arden »

It shouldn't be a problem Glenda. Certainly all reel fittings should be anodised as a matter of course nowadays. To be sure you could rinse them down afterwards - many years ago in the SW section on SL, MadBrad recommended showering with the gear after fishing! No you don't need a heavier line. But an Intermediate Warm-water SW line would be best.

Inland you have some Aussie Bass fishing and Barra in some places (Floating line for the Bass - hopefully - and fast sinker for the Barra - probably). Some of the Bass fishing is outstanding. The Noosa River is meant to have excellent Bass fishing - I haven't fished it but Sean has (he has a good mate in Coolum incidentally). I've fished for Bass further north. Had a 48cm last trip, which was a superb fish.

In the estuaries there's Flathead around and many years ago I picked up some Trevally in the Noosa Estuary. I've caught flathead on a six-weight. The take is solid, but if you can keep their heads up relatively easy to land.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
scotty9

Rods fresh and saltwater

Post by scotty9 »

Paul Arden wrote: To be sure you could rinse them down afterwards - many years ago in the SW section on SL, MadBrad recommended showering with the gear after fishing!
That was my after fishing ritual in Exmouth! Kill two birds with one stone :D
Glenda

Rods fresh and saltwater

Post by Glenda »

great, thanks Paul. I will give it a try especially if the opp to fish comes up before I look at a heavier rod to use for salt water. My sister is an avid bait fisher and loves the Flathead.

I will Google the Warm-line and read about it, thanks. Noosa river is not far from Brisbane or Coolum so I will get Jenna (sister) to take me up for a bit of a look and wet a line... i love estuary fishing but have only ever fished with bait and seaweed (black fish with side-reel). should be a plethora or opps for some good fishing.

I can't wait to get to some warmer weather - only 10 days to go... :yeahhh:

thanks again, Glenda
"my biggest worry is that when I am dead and gone my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it". ......Koos Brandt
TrevH

Rods fresh and saltwater

Post by TrevH »

I've done a lot of SW fishing and I would always rinse rods and reels used in SW, especially the metal bits. Whether or not they are specifically designed for SW. SW is a killer over time.

I've done the shower thing which is a good idea. Also in a bath .... although I think that's an English thing ... :)

Cheers
Trev
Glenda

Rods fresh and saltwater

Post by Glenda »

I am not sure about the shower or bath thing... dangerous for a female??? may be I could place the rods in the same bin as the motor after each trip but not at the same time, obviously.... :D let me know if I need to explain the bin and motor bit....

Return to “Saltwater”