PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

What is ultimate fly line weight for your fly rod? Or what is the ultimate fly rod for your line? The goal is distance.

Moderator: Torsten

RSalar
Answers: 0

Re: What is ultimate fly line weight for your fly rod? Or what is the ultimate fly rod for your line? The goal is distan

Post by RSalar »

From Mel Krieger’s “The Essence of Flycasting” p.81: “Rod Stiffness in Flycasting. The stiffness of a fly rod determines the range at which it casts most effectively. A stiffer rod generally casts a longer line because it produces greater line speed.”

HAGD,

Ron
FFI - CCI
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: What is ultimate fly line weight for your fly rod? Or what is the ultimate fly rod for your line? The goal is distan

Post by Paul Arden »

“Generally” is the significant word in there. And it’s always to a point, as you would have seen from these discussions. I met Mel quite a few times and he was very inspirational. Wonderful chap.

I think it’s also fair to say that the understanding of how flycasting works is far better than it was 25 years ago. Mel wasn’t writing for a scientific audience either. Hence it’s fine to make simplifications.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

VGB wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:54 am I tie my single dry fly leaders like that so that they collapse. That’s a leader designed for a weighted point fly and a wide stroke.

Regards

Vince
I think you might be using a shorter rod.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Walter

Post by Walter »

RSalar wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:03 am From Mel Krieger’s “The Essence of Flycasting” p.81: “Rod Stiffness in Flycasting. The stiffness of a fly rod determines the range at which it casts most effectively. A stiffer rod generally casts a longer line because it produces greater line speed.”

HAGD,

Ron
That particular reference source was deprecated a long time ago.

Mel also talked about the difference between teaching engineers and poets. You are putting yourself in to a 3rd category that shows up from time to time.
"There can be only one." - The Highlander. :pirate:

PS. I have a flying tank. Your argument is irrelevant.

PSS. How to generate a climbing loop through control of the casting stroke is left as a (considerable) exercise to the reader.
VGB

Post by VGB »

Paul Arden wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:19 pm I think you might be using a shorter rod.

Cheers, Paul
Hi Paul

Usually 9’, occasionally 10’ but I’ve also used a similar technique with a 7’ rod during mayfly. Should I be using a DH?

Regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
RSalar

Post by RSalar »

Walter wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:39 pm
RSalar wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:03 am From Mel Krieger’s “The Essence of Flycasting” p.81: “Rod Stiffness in Flycasting. The stiffness of a fly rod determines the range at which it casts most effectively. A stiffer rod generally casts a longer line because it produces greater line speed.”

HAGD,

Ron
How so?

I figure Mel did quite a bit of casting andknew something about the topic. Not sure, but I would expect he did little testing before putting those words in print.

In all these pages I have yet to see any scientific evidence to the contrary. Maybe you can provide it?

—Ron
FFI - CCI
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Well I don’t know the difference then Vince. Maybe our respective fishing roots. A leader of 1.5x the rod length I have no problems tucking, curving or collapsing. The drawing was from ‘96 in the stillwater manual.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
VGB

Post by VGB »

Tippet length Paul, your leader is effectively an 11ft tippet attached to a 9ft leader.

Regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Walter

Post by Walter »

RSalar wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:40 pm
Walter wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:39 pm

HAGD,

Ron
How so?

I figure Mel did quite a bit of casting andknew something about the topic. Not sure, but I would expect he did little testing before putting those words in print.

In all these pages I have yet to see any scientific evidence to the contrary. Maybe you can provide it?

—Ron
Don’t use Poppa Smurf’s name in vain. He was a great teacher. He wasn’t a scientist.

As for scientific proof - OYE. It has been given, repeated, regiven, restated, washed, rinsed, repeated ad nauseum. We’ve had people on the board who will forever be remembered as the rotation guy, the wave guy, the flying flyline guy and now it looks like we can add the bend guy but you seem to be at least looking over the edge of the Apple cart to see if it’s safe to get off so I’ll reserve judgement a bit longer.

PSS. How to generate a climbing loop through control of the casting stroke is left as a (considerable) exercise to the reader.
Walter

Post by Walter »

VGB wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:52 pm Tippet length Paul, your leader is effectively an 11ft tippet attached to a 9ft leader.

Regards

Vince
Doh! Good one. I can see myself being beaned a lot less often in the future.

Return to “Flycasting Physics”