PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

MOI and damping

Moderator: Torsten

gordonjudd
Answers: 0

Re: MOI and damping

Post by gordonjudd »

Casting-wise, by moving the rod tip backwards at the appropriate time, ie MCF, it must be possible to a) reduce the effect of MCF straightening
and
An important factor in rod damping is forward rod rotation as the rod is returning from counterflex.
Paul and Grunde,
I am confused about which direction the butt of the rod should be rotated to help damp the tip return from counterflex.

Is a video in order to resolve this?

Does anyone know what Carl Berlin does to reduce counterflex effects on his long casts?

Gordy
grunde

Post by grunde »

Andreas and Mathias are both doing the right thing for damping in these videos.

:pirate:

Cheers,
Grunde
"Essentially, all models are wrong, but some are useful."
George E. P. Box

Always question the assumptions!

Flycasting Definitions
Walter

Post by Walter »

gordonjudd wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 3:34 pm
Casting-wise, by moving the rod tip backwards at the appropriate time, ie MCF, it must be possible to a) reduce the effect of MCF straightening
and
An important factor in rod damping is forward rod rotation as the rod is returning from counterflex.
Paul and Grunde,
I am confused about which direction the butt of the rod should be rotated to help damp the tip return from counterflex.

Is a video in order to resolve this?

Does anyone know what Carl Berlin does to reduce counterflex effects on his long casts?

Gordy
Gordy,

This is something I sometimes demonstrate with a handheld pendulum. As the bob reaches the highest point in its swing move your hand holding the line towards the bob. You can totally kill the pendulum’s swing with the correct movement.
"There can be only one." - The Highlander. :pirate:

PS. I have a flying tank. Your argument is irrelevant.

PSS. How to generate a climbing loop through control of the casting stroke is left as a (considerable) exercise to the reader.
Mangrove Cuckoo

Post by Mangrove Cuckoo »

Walter,

Thanks for that. I tried it. Quite surprising immediate results... sure makes an impression on anyone watching!

The big question is how to introduce it into the cast, but I suspect Vince has figured that out since I think I see something similar going on in his video above with the 4' 7wt cane rod?
With appreciation and apologies to Ray Charles…

“If it wasn’t for AI, we wouldn’t have no I at all.”
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Yes that is indeed damping in the forward direction. However it’s then possible to reduce oscillations by then lifting in the opposite direction trying to keep a bend in the tip.
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Flycasting Physics”