PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

The Predicament of Buying the Right Fly Line

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

VGB
Answers: 0

Re: The Predicament of Buying the Right Fly Line

Post by VGB »

I borrowed Mark's #6 TT in Iceland and it appears the SL consensus to have been a 52' WF, so it is possible to do a 70' cast with it, without being in the running line.
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Morsie wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 9:16 pm Would love to see it Lasse. How would you tweak it in order to achieve the result you anticipate?
Hi Peter

Gym floor, and sidearm horisontal casting. When Paul tried to show that you would get two different outcomes from a stiff and soft rod with the same line, he had to twist the circumstances, high casting position, and lifting of water. When the stiff longer lever had pulled the line of the water, the shorter softer one was stiff battling line stick. Essentially, casting at different times, and making sure one line was steaight and the other full of slack. Not really equal conditions :D

And since you want to play with line mass too, I need to tweak it so they come relatively easy of the ground, and preferably inddoors as one line will have bigger losses during unrolling, and I would like to keep that to a minimum.

Rigging experiments to fail is easy, but doesn't prove a point other than its easy to rig to fail :D

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Tangled wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 8:01 pm Have you ever written any of this stuff up anywhere Lasse?
What stuff?

Cheers
Lasse

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

I don’t know about that! I was amazed how you saw it and so I stopped bothering about it. What I did find was that it was very difficult to make fine tuning adjustments when casting two rods. It’s difficult to change loop size on either rod because you are casting two together. But I could certainly tail one and not the other when cast this way. And that’s not surprising to anyone but you :D What is really required to be absolutely concrete is a casting machine.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Paul Arden wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 3:11 pm
If I’m going to be a bit controversial on a Saturday evening, I would add that I think overweight WF lines have both lowered the standard of flycasting as well as the ability to fly fish.

And with that, I’m going to cook cauliflower chilli. A jungle speciality. :cool:

Cheers, Paul
Hi Paul

Bold statement, and that for a saturday night...

I would say that overweight shortheaded wf's have made the entry into flyfishing much easier for alot of peoole, and in doing so have grown the sport. In doing so, yes your first statement holds true, simple statistics, have a pool of 100 casters that can cast, average is good, add 1000 beginners, and average falls drastically :D
Second part, na, only the ability where one needs a long belly or DT to fish old school. The short headed lines have also opened up new fishing territory that aren't well fished with light long lines. And shootingheads have been around since forever, the shortheaded WF's are just wannabee shootingheads, for people who think the AFFTA system is dead, and don't like connections because they can't make them sexy and smooth...

Cheers
Lasse

Morsie

Post by Morsie »

OK, a challenge - 2 Rods, lets say a #10 with 3 line (a true 3 if you like :D ), throw the tightest loops you possibly can with 60 feet of line out of the tip - hauling is allowed. #5 glass rod, 10 line - same amount of line in the air, use an identical stroke - arc and length, lets see the outcome....... one after the other, not at the same time.
Make your explanations as simple as possible, but no simpler. A Einstein.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

That depends where you live Lasse. There were a hell of a lot more fly fishers in England 40 years ago. And we used DT lines. So I don’t think easy has anything to do with it. Biggest single fly fishing fault I see is fishing too far. Anyway that’s not the point. The point is a short heavy head makes progress more challenging not easier. Maybe they can initially use their wide arc lob but in order to progress they still need to learn variety of movement. And having a shooting head doesn’t encourage this.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Tangled

Post by Tangled »

Lasse Karlsson wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:01 am
Tangled wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 8:01 pm Have you ever written any of this stuff up anywhere Lasse?
What stuff?

Cheers
Lasse
"I already went outside of what 99,999% of flyfishers use in terms of rods, and it didnt show what was taught would happen...."

You demonstrate a lot of stuff that isn't what is generally received wisdom, I was just wondering if you've ever written anything in detail about it, I'd like to know more.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Ok let’s see if I can put it in a way that Lasse might agree with. :) The differences are smaller than we think and perhaps even feel however they are there.

How does that sound?

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Paul Arden wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:58 am I don’t know about that! I was amazed how you saw it and so I stopped bothering about it. What I did find was that it was very difficult to make fine tuning adjustments when casting two rods. It’s difficult to change loop size on either rod because you are casting two together. But I could certainly tail one and not the other when cast this way. And that’s not surprising to anyone but you :D What is really required to be absolutely concrete is a casting machine.

Cheers, Paul

You could only tail one and not the other one because you lifted from water mate :) It was very clear that one line left the water before the other, and when you then came forward on the first line beingvsyraight behind you, the other one was still travelling backwards. Hows that for a rigged outcome, no shit that would produce a tail :D

And the common wisdom is that of you take a soft 6 weight and a stiff 6 weight rod put a 6 weight line on both, one will throw a shitty loop compared to the other one. Not gonna happen, but hey here we are 10 years later still talking to a wall banging my head. I start to see your problems with the FFI :whistle:

Cheers
Lasse

Return to “Flycasting”