PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Temperature effects on Brown trout.

Forum for discussing fisheries conservation and other environmental issues related to fish, wildlife, watersheds, and aquatic ecosystems.

Moderators: Harps, mattklara

whinging pom
Answers: 0

Temperature effects on Brown trout.

Post by whinging pom »

Hi all
Over the years I’ve had to look up the temp effects on brown trout with a view to when is a cut off point for fishing and recovery of catch and release on our little brook. ( I use 20c as a benchmark at present then start whinging at the other members).

Years back when I Google studied it in a particularly hot spell, there was no end of papers and studies available from round the Globe of effects at 17 19 20 21 21.5 23 and 24c. ( Apparently 21.5 is the temp which irreversibley effects the growth of the gonads🤔 makes you wonder about jungle life !!).

This year In the heat wave got me after info again only now it seemed very limited or hidden, and not a lot of new study… or am I missing it, or is Google just more commercially biased now.!

(Studies on temp effects on Brown Trout? , Google chrome answer= sportsfish. Glasgow angling centre. Cold smokers. Oak smoking dust. hot Torpedo. Excerpt from Frost and Brown).

Anyone out there know of any studies on this as we are going to be getting this problem more frequently and I want to set a designated cut off temp for the club ?

I have a potentially fractious fishing club AGM looming to discuss and need to fight the corner of our Wild spotty inhabitants.

A couple of good peer reviewed papers would/could be a deal sealer if any of you dudes/dudessess have been studying this or reading up?!

Ta very much in anticipation
All best
WP esq
The Duffer of the Brook !

Nothing is Impossible: :???: I do Nothing everyday .
Viking Lars

Re: Temperature effects on Brown trout.

Post by Viking Lars »

The Danish salmon close for fishing when the temperature reaches 18 degrees C. This is due to the fact that the warmer the water is, the less oxygen it contains and recovery takes longer, obviously with the risc of an increase in mortality.
I suspect the effect is lesser on smaller fish as the of course need less oxygen to recover, but I'm not sure.
I find that at least surface acivity from trout and grayling decrease significantly as water temperature rises (even with good hatches still going on) and I use that as a sign to stop.

Lars
Tangled

Post by Tangled »

If you add the word 'scholar' to the end of the search string you get better results - though they'll usually be very technical. Anyway, this is the first result that appeared that was public. You could then follow up the references. If you don't have access to academic papers you can walk into your nearest university library and they'll give you access.

Anyway, I was interested to learn that the important factors are temperature AND the number of days at those temperatures.

Overall, the most indicative parameters in the literature were based on consecutive days (further shortened as “ConsD”) and hours (further shortened as “ConsH”) exceeding specific mean water temperature values. In detail, a possible PKD outbreak is considered to appear at ≥14 ConsD over 15°C (Burkhardt-Holm, 2009). Low mortalities in field studies occurred at ≥29 ConsD over 15°C and a minimum of additional 10 non-consecutive days (≥15°C) following up to autumn (Schmidt-Posthaus et al., 2015). High mortalities with clinical signs of PKD appear at ≥26 ConsD over 18°C in laboratory conditions (Bettge et al., 2009a). These thresholds were assembled into four classes of temperature-related risk for PKD outbreak (TR-PKD): no outbreak (0), possible outbreak (1), low mortality (2), high mortality (3) (for more details see Table 3).

High water temperatures are not only threatening S. trutta in terms of emerging diseases, they also induce physiological stress. Critical temperature thresholds were therefore identified for diminished growth (water temperature ≥19.5°C; Elliott and Elliott, 2010) and for the occurrence of cardiac dysfunction in brown trout (water temperature ≥23.5°C; Vornanen et al., 2014). The temperature threshold for diminished growth was set when the 95% quantile was ≥19.5°C, expressing roughly 18 days with thermal conditions for diminished growths. As cardiac dysfunction in S. trutta can occur at single (hourly) events, the threshold for our model was an exceedance of the maximum hourly water temperature ≥23.5°C.

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10 ... 00059/full
whinging pom

Post by whinging pom »

18c is one of the figures given here in the uk as advice from the Wild Trout trust as being the start of stress on the trout , and which although they may swim away when released the chances are they won’t fully recover. Frost and brown says 16 c is the start of the stress and the dropping off of metabolism and then into the twenties damage is being done in exposure to degree days and up to degree hours.
My problem with this was we went through a full month of 20c with a +/- 1c variation. So no metabolism for a month I presume when they should have been getting into condition for the Redds.

The dissolved oxygen thing adds to the confusion.

I realise that the levels deplete as the temp rises ( and due to other limiting factors specific to the water) and in a previous season I bought a dissolved oxygen meter to monitor it, but then came the problem.
I read papers from studies in the USA and I think Aus. More recently I’ve found great studies on the effects on Rainbows and on Brooktrout in Adirondak ( https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... ndack_Lake )
but not Browns. Nothing gave D. Oxygen figures as a guide.
I found advisory info from the Wild Trout Trust, and a breakdown of the effects of degree days and degree hours in the Frost and Brown (The Trout) but still everything referred to Temp.

Whereas I have people resisting saying we should be using Dissolved oxygen as a proper measure as if I should be looking deeper into this before threatening their fishing.
We’re looking at putting in stream thermometers in that plug into a lap top and give a detailed daily breakdown and hopefully start taking measures like more shaded stretches and hopefully we can monitor the effects over the years, but I’d also like to find a line based on idealy, recent study, to win over the grumbling doubter’s!

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Also I was told when I worked at Ardleigh that it wasn’t just temp but also how quickly the change happened. I don’t know about brown trout but on that water they would disappear in the warmer months and reappear in the Autumn. I believe they went down to the thermocline, certainly the bigger ones did this. Occasionally they could be picked up after dark near the surface of course. I’m convinced brown trout are largely nocturnal in summer months anyway.

Rainbows were a lot more tolerant of higher warmer temps but even back then we experienced significant rainbow trout kills in summer warmer temps. I believe 25C is the end of everything trout wise but anything above 20 is a problem. Regularly even 35 years ago the water temp could be measured at 22/23C in August.

Climate change will definitely have an impact on brown trout distribution. I’m sure we’ve already seen that in SE England, as well as parts of Spain and France.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
whinging pom

Post by whinging pom »

Tangled
just got in from site and seen that It looks like i ignored you but i think i was posting when you were... thankyou it looks great.
Im dead on my feet , I'll post in the morning.
best
pom

whinging pom

Post by whinging pom »

Paul that observation of the Trout at night rings true for us on the brook, I dont know if it was always thus or just something 've noticed in later seasons.

( excuse me if this goes on a bit , but i figure some my find it interesting)

i ve always been the type to want "just one more cast'' and ended up lingering long past home time.
We don't have deep pools, though over the years i've been creating a few scour pools for adult habitat, which disturb the free wading of the brook to he chagrin of some of the anglers... but i have given them handy posts to pull out onto the bank and guide them back in... Im not a complete barsteward. Whether there is any form of Thermoclines in these pools I am yet to discover.

As the Summer reaches it height so does the reed canary grass along the banks, and then the heavy showers drive it down on the surface. By mid summer upto a third of the surface on each side of the stream is covered with a green matt.
This is a mixed blessing. For fishermen it can be a pain, less water, more snags, weird currents and drags. for the residents a porch away from the prying eyes from above, a passageway up and down stream, a larder above AND I presume, less radiation down to the stream bed and thus less warming of the brook itself. For the predators: Otters, Gooseanders and Cormorants, a fabulous larder where the meals feel a bit safer and less flighty!

What i've noticed when wading along these stretches when the light has gone to gloom and that last fly change is beyond you, that I quite often see ahead a tilting and quaking of the reed grass on the surface and out in the stream comes a larger than normal trout that gets straight into hitting caddis on the surface. These are our 2+ year olds ( our trout only get to 4+ ). Unless its mayfly or grannom in early season we never encounter these unless fishing really late,and a head torch is now a regular part of the kit. For my annual scale sample survey of the trout population i need these bigger fish to get a full representation, so I end up in the deep gloom trying to get an accurate measurement and prize off some scale samples from some 42cm+ slab of trout muscle that really doesn't want to be part of the survey!

At the moment Im going down regularly to see how the redds are doing, in the past I ve seen fish on the redds from Oct 25th through to the first week of November. As yet no sign this year, I think the water is too warm still, by now we usually have had our first freezing Hoarfrost to turn the last of the trees and cars with frozen windscreens to scrape off in the mornings, last night was 13c here, thats crazy warm for November in England.

Ten years back i was at a habitat conference at the Natural History museum , there was a group of forward thinking scientists who had taken a stretch of river and noted the percentage of tree cover, and popped the instream thermometers in that i want for the brook ( https://www.omniinstruments.co.uk/tinyt ... ggers.html).
They then planted more trees along the banks and over the years looked at the in stream temp range compared with external patterns and predictive range based on that. I cant remember how much they had shaved off but it was enough to make us sit up and take notice!
if we can top it at 17c or18c for exceptional summer days instead of 20 or 21c that we've recorded, that's going to be a great respite. ( our top air temp last year was 40.5c, thats 6c higher than our previous peak).

12 years ago we had an 800m featureless straight dredged canal that was knee deep all the way. I put in 10 sets of flow deflectors ( brush wood bundles) and spent an hour or two pushing snapped of willow twigs into the banks. We now have wading from ankle deep to over your chest waders, and 30% tree cover and a wonderful little meandering brook between the banks.
Its not that hard to make the improvements needed to counter the changes taking place if the fishermen are willing to get a bit more involved.

Tangled:Priceless!
...that research you pointed my way was/is excellent thank you its printed off for a proper read, ( i seem to take info in better when read off old fashioned paper for some reason) and so many cross references to work through, that's going to keep me busy for a while. thankyou. thats the great thing about these forums.
sorry to go on....and on and on.
all best pom

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I’m sure they have always been nocturnally active, Chris. In summer months anyway. The largest browns I’ve caught have been around 2-3am. But what surprised me initially was that rainbows are active too. I must have spent 1/3rd of my trout fishing time after dark; it’s a good way of avoiding people :laugh:

Generally speaking an hour after the evening rise slows down and it turns dark the fish turn on again. This activity slows around 1.30am. Then it’s time to get the biggest flies out and see what is active. About an hour before dawn there is another active period that runs through to just after first light.

Both browns and rainbows will come right into the shallows to feed. Water little deeper than their body height.
29B3B5A1-1D27-4A02-BDE0-53FD12D0355C.jpeg
29B3B5A1-1D27-4A02-BDE0-53FD12D0355C.jpeg (69.05 KiB) Viewed 1148 times
This fish (NZ) was in very shallow water.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
whinging pom

Post by whinging pom »

I love it … It’s an experience and glimpse into another world. A world of sounds and touch and feel. On a tiny little stream with so many snags it’s a delve into your memory palace especially with a 3 pounder on .

What’s not so great is I’ve at least twice encountered otters in the dark down the brook. …. For some reason they don’t slip away silently. The twice I known about it they’ve come up close by, within a few feet caught in moonlight or exploring what’s under this wierd head torch?.
They see you, rise up to get a good view, realise what you are, panic and pitch over to the side like a breached whale with a god almighty belly flopping explosion.
The other times I’ve not seen them but now realise what’s caused the commotion. In the intense stillness with all your senses wired and your concentration is really focused. Suddenly it sounds like someone’s tossed a concrete block in right behind you.. it’s really unnerving 😁
This is when you realise us anglers have an alarm call!
I end up “f*cking” like a duck…. “F*CK!! F*ck,f*ck.f*ck F*ck…F*CK! F*CK..!!.
It’s the kind of experience that really gets the adrenaline going and the heart pumping wildly!

( it probably the same otter every time that just enjoys scaring the bejesus out of me ! )
Pom

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Beavers do the same! :D I hooked one once. That didn’t just spook the pool but the entire river.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Daily Planet”