PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Mike's manshit

Moderator: Haggisboy

Michal Duzynski
Answers: 0

Mike's manshit

Post by Michal Duzynski »

Hello, fellow Sexyloopers.
I got some manshit I need to get out my chest, and I think this is the right place.
2022 is about to end, I'm 45 and I need to make some plans.
BOAT is the thing.
I live in Australia, surrounded by awesome waters, where I could drive 1h, be on the boat at dawn and if there is no action back home by lunch, have a beer and wash the boat.
PELAGICS- THIS IS WHAT IM AFTER.
I have great carp fishery 1h away, but it doesn't fulfil my fly fishing expectations, and Saltwater land based fly fishing is poor. Even bass and Saratoga fishos take boats to the lake.
What is frustrating is that I have lived here for 9 years and been fishing on a boat 4 times - this kills me, especially reading fishing reports.
Why I write all this you ask - well distance fly casting is on the line here.
As much as I love it, I start not seeing the purpose of it for me here anymore.
9 years here and zero, null, nada,interest from people around me. My casts on youtube are cool, but that's about it.
Practising, getting ready, setting goals, saving money for next WC, and all that on my own, where wind roulette plays a big part, and now I'm scared of baggage being lost
( that hurt) is not exciting anymore.
Why I'm saying this.
If I decide to get a boat ( finance a boat), it means there won't be more money to go to the WC , and that is a very difficult decision that I haven't made yet.
I will never stop fly casting, that is for sure, but I won't chase winds, record casts, videos, bla bla bla
Now, THE BOAT, it's not cheap to start with, and then yearly costs of rego, insurance, and service.
...so, do I go this path, or it would be better going a couple of times a year with a guide? But here is the thing.
A day with a guide is $1000, and there are no refunds if they are not biting ( thats fishing). Good fly fishing experience of couple days up North, Exmouth, Christmas Island we talking 5-7K weather not guaranteed, flight costs vary.
The issue I have with that is that I won't have that amount of money at once, comparing to small weekly boat finance repayments, and I spend half of my annual leave on fishing trips rather than family time.
Owing a boat could take me twice a month or more on the water, if not fishing I could have a chillout crusie day with my girls. During 2 weeks off over Christmas, I could tow it to a more fishy place either north or down to Sydney for Kingfish.

If I go "the boat" way, it won't happen anytime soon, maybe the end of next year beginning of 2024, but saving has to start now, and less distance casting over the year.

Aaahhh- feels better getting it out of my chest.

What do you think guys?
Cheers
Mike
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: Mike's manshit

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi mate,

I think one of the things that slows down the development of this sport is lack of National support for competitors. I had plans to try to improve things a few times but it’s a challenge. Other countries have solved this.

What sort of boat do you have in mind? I’ve never had one that needed washing :D Some engine maintenance yes!

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

G'day Mike,

One option to explore is to find a like-minded fly-fishing buddy and see if they are interested in going halves in a boat. It obviously helps with the finances but also means the boat may be utilised more than if you owned it by yourself (it's amazing how often a boat just sits around doing nothing but racking up the bills.)

You might also find that you and he/her will fish together more often than if either one of you bought it themselves.

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
Michal Duzynski

Hi
I forgot to mention that I might not ditch completely distance casting. I forgot I'm planning to take part in virtual BFCC events in March- that might keep me on my toes.
Paul, it's not about organisation of our sport, I gave up on this one, but the thing I'm all alone here, and then cost of travelling to Europe for comps is a killer. You know why you did not come to Norway.
Anyway THE BOAT where do I begin 😂

For what I want to do it has to be 17-18 foot, fiberglass. Here they say fiberglass is the King. They say don't go aluminium as you would need to bring a chiropractor with you on board and the noisy hull slap will spook the fish.
Anyway for what I want and what I'm willing to spend I won't even start looking in Australia unless I'm really lucky to fund a deal( it happens sometimes).
This is why I'm leaning towards American market.
Selection is crazy.
Yes, yes, yes shipping, gst bla bla, but I checked few quotes already and it's doable.

https://www.boattrader.com/boat/2009-ke ... e-8622290/

This is something I'm after- beauty.

Hi Graeme
I never thought about, might add to my list of research and options.

Cheers
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

G'day Mike,

I think you've probably been mislead by a little exaggeration on the hull-slap thing. Yes, 'glass boats are definitely smoother and quieter on the water when you're fishing, but hull design has a big role to play, as does the skill of the skipper. (Driving to conditions, including choosing which direction to attack the chop makes a HUGE difference in comfort on the boat.)

I've got (half) a 4.5 Trailcraft side console and it's a very versatile boat. It's fine for almost all the work I want to do, especially since I fly fish from it (not bottom bouncing.) We tend to want better conditions for boating than those who aren't casting a lot, so we tend to go when the weather is a bit better: the chiropractor doesn't like fly guys! :)

I've been out on a Quintrex Top Ender and found that to be a significantly smoother ride than mine. That's the hull design.

I've also been out on Whalers and Key Wests, and of course, they are even nicer. But the price is very high!

If I were you, I'd ask guys in your club to take you out on their boats so you can see for yourself if a tinny will fit the bill as your first boat. 'Glass hulls need a bit more respect than tinnies do. I'd recommend a tinny to start with, learn the ropes, see how much and where you use it and not be too stressed if you bump the hull on gravel, rocks or the trailer while you gain boating skills. You can then upgrade later if you think it's worth doing so. (I'm more than happy with my Trailcraft.)

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
Michal Duzynski

Cheers Graeme, wise words. Research continues
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Yep I’ve been out in fibreglass boats where the owner treats it like a princess. It’s hard to break an aluminium hull. Lots of dents in mine. They can be a bit noisier but I would have sunk all of my boats by now had they been fibreglass :D

I hit a low water stump a few weeks ago in the Battleship that would have holed the original houseboat that I was trying to buy. The Battleship has a 6mm aluminium hull bottom and 4mm sides. It’s good for peace of mind.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Mangrove Cuckoo

Post by Mangrove Cuckoo »

Michal,

There are almost an infinite number of choices you need to make. Aluminum or glass, flat bottom or V, beauty or beater, etc., etc.

The one thing I would suggest that you carefully consider first is what kind of waters you intend to fish. Deep or shallow, calm or waves, short runs or distance? All boats are a compromise. Pick the type of boat that fits into the water you plan to fish... first. Only then can you start to think about finances.

Are you sure there are not any boat owners nearby that are looking for an avid flyfishing partner? Boats are plentiful, good partners are scarce. It's way easier to find a boat than it is a partner with the same skill and level of interest. And, something that many novice boat owners don't realize at first, is that to fish effectively from a boat often requires a team of two onboard working in tandem and taking turns fishing.

How mechanically inclined are you? Have you taken a seamanship course or at least studied up? There is more to being a boater than meets the eye. Once again, finding a boat owning partner before purchasing one for yourself can be a tremendous learning tool.

The fact that you made this statement...
Michal Duzynski wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:40 pm
I live in Australia, surrounded by awesome waters, where I could drive 1h, be on the boat at dawn and if there is no action back home by lunch, have a beer and wash the boat.
... tells me that you are early in the learning curve! Because that will never happen... no matter how poor the fishing - you will never quit a day on the water and be back home for lunch. :D
With appreciation and apologies to Ray Charles…

“If it wasn’t for AI, we wouldn’t have no I at all.”
Michal Duzynski

Hi
The part you quoted I've learned from the guys I share a boat and the guys who know the water.
Me, especially on the beginning I would definitely stay longer on the water :D
What type of boat for the type of fishing I,want to do- I'm getting there and start getting clear idea of what's right.
Mechanically inclined-no, early stage of learning curve- yes, but I need to learn somewhere.
Finding a fishing buddy- not so easy. I even made a post/offer on a fly fishing forum as a deckie, pay for petrol, bring lunch, help with washing the boat after, available one phone call away-nulla, nada, zero. I'm not going to seat on my ass until someone makes a charity call with invitation.
I might try to do it on general fishing forum, but if zero response, then I'm not going to beg, and I can't wait too long- it drives me nuts.
I reckon if I had a boat it would be easier to find a fishing buddy.

Cheers
Mike
Michal Duzynski

Funny, I just did some reading with my morning coffee about what a deckie is and what a deckie should do on a fishing trip.
I had no idea...
I did non of that( a part from saying thank you), and for sure this is a reason nobody called me back on their boat.

....o well to late to say sorry, another lesson learned..
Cheers
Mike

Return to “Manshit”