PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Mike's manshit

Moderator: Haggisboy

Michal Duzynski
Answers: 0

Re: Mike's manshit

Post by Michal Duzynski »

Hi
Things slow down a bit here.
In a month I'm going camping and I booked a full day with a guide in Gladstone.

The main thing that made me back off a little is the reports I'm seeing.

Things like
"Done 50nM not even a splash" many of it, or a guy bringing his boat to the lake and chase carp, and catches 3-4. I go for a healthy hike on the same lake and get 19 fish in 4h.

Anyway, if I get one, I look far away from a shiny fancy one, and start looking at it as a tool only.
Cheers
Mike
queenfish

Post by queenfish »

Hi Mike
You have been in my boat few times.
If I was you I get something like it, with the family I wouldn't go outside, stay in the estuaries or lakes.
Myself I go out on calmer days, even with a bigger boat, I wouldn't take the family out if it's not calm.
Michal Duzynski

Hi Vince
I agree.
In my research, and reading all the comments about Aussie fly fisherman and their awesome boats which are expensive, I always think about you mate.
Vince and his 3.95m boat and he caught more fish than anyone- King of the Seaway 😁

Mate the way you fish is very inspiring, especially the way you launch your boat without wetting a toe- brilliant.

Mike
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Hey Queenfish! How are you mate? Happy Birthday!! :cool:
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
queenfish

Post by queenfish »

Hi Paul.
thanks, I am very good, still fishing almost every day, but the fish are hard to find.
Hope you all well best wishes.
Mika

Post by Mika »

Hi Mike,
opinion from Finland even you didn't ask, once again. 😂
I would definitely go with aluminium boat, those can take more hits etc, lighter.... noisy, not really, you are the one who is make them noisy if so. We have small aluminium boat in our small lake, and yes if fish are rising next to boat and I make boat noisy, fish will disappear for awhile.

For me is funny how we often think that noise from boat is disturbing to fish, sometimes yes and yet.... boats are driving around, engine sounds, I would think that it is just about where and when you are loud with your boat. It is kind of same here when ice fishing... in big lakes you can drive on ice with snowmobile, stop, make hole and catch a fish. In small lakes and ponds if you go on ice with snowmobile... well game is over on the time track hit the ice, unless you drive on ice regularly so fishes kind of get use on that.

It seems to be that it is universal opinion that aluminium boats are to noisy for fly fishing or any fishing.... yet almost in all videos you see boats are aluminium. Funny world 😆

I could have someone with boat in Australia, he is not flyfishing, more like spinner, nice guy anyway. I could ask if he still have a boat and need companion, I was guiding him last summer and I think he mentioned something about getting boat that he could go fishing.
Best regards from Snowy Finland
Michal Duzynski

Thanks Mika, I'm still looking around.
Same as with- when busting tuna dives down when you approach them with 2 stroke motor. On Sunday we were chasing them with 115hp 4 stroke yammy, and a beautiful, expensive fiberglass boat, and same shit, as soon as we get there they disappeared- and glass boat owner said "yep they are bastards" and Tuna fishing can be depressing.
Yes, ask him. I'm in Brisbane just in case.

Cheers
Mike
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

While it might of course be the boat spooking them Mike, you see this switching on/off even when not chasing them. Fish light up, feed, switch off. I would think it’s very much harder to catch a bait fish that is panicked and fleeing than a large group of them in a relaxed mode. They catch their prey, back off, consume their catch and the cycle repeats.

I do find waves slapping an an aluminium boat can make more noise. No question. That can be dealt with by going in reverse when stalking fish (obviously not on a tuna hunt!). Carpeting the boat also makes a huge difference and of course being quiet ourselves. Not using the thruster motor on high gear for example.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
George C

Post by George C »

I can’t speak for AUS or large offshore tuna but where I live catching inshore tuna species involves figuring out their feeding pattern, positioning the boat to where you think they’ll next show, and waiting. It helps if there is structure involved, both to predict their next show and limit their options. Running and gunning with a flyrod in hand is hard to resist but usually less productive.
Michal Duzynski

George C wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 4:13 pm I can’t speak for AUS or large offshore tuna but where I live catching inshore tuna species involves figuring out their feeding pattern, positioning the boat to where you think they’ll next show, and waiting. It helps if there is structure involved, both to predict their next show and limit their options. Running and gunning with a flyrod in hand is hard to resist but usually less productive.
This is EXACTLY what's happening here. When you see busting tuna in the surface, the adrenalin rush is so big and the first thought is " let's go get them" we rush and they are gonski. Like you said , it was very less productive.
Then we stopped in the area where they popping up, and eventually they popped un next to us and we had few shots( more then while chasing them)

Sharks are a big issue here. We were watching our mate for 30min, just to see him being shared at the boat

Might change the tactics next time
Attachments
Screenshot_20230416_153830_Messages_copy_1024x2276.jpg

Return to “Manshit”