PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Max carry

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

bartdezwaan
Answers: 0

Re: Max carry

Post by bartdezwaan »

Hi Paul,

Yes, those numbers sound reasonable indeed.
I did spend a lot of time improving the speed in my backcast, which resulted in a higher max carry.
For max distance, no matter how high my line speed, I always have to carry about the same distance. There seems to be a small window between a great final shoot and a lousy one.
I guess the arc and amount of counterflex also contribute to the amount of overhang you can have?

When I have the time, I will try to measure my carry again.

Cheers, Bart
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

I guess the arc and amount of counterflex also contribute to the amount of overhang you can have?
I haven’t measured max carry back to back with HT6/10. I know it certainly wasn’t less max carrry with the 6 and I believe it was actually a little higher so that would make sense. Certainly the 105 in Calgary was with a TCR5.

To answer Mike’s question I didn’t shoot it for distance. It is far too unstable. I notice that with just a few feet of running line at the top of the loop the loop becomes unstable. As I’ve mentioned with a tail wind I’ll play with putting it there because my absolute longest casts come this way. But with no wind I won’t extend.

I also play with different speeds, loops and trajectories on the backcast with the 88’6 carry. Sometimes I think a slower more open backcast gives a better transition.

My carry with the HT6 for distance was 90+’. I’m sure this would have been because of greater tip deflection at MCF for the same fly leg position. Also my arc was wider.

Key is not the carry; rather it’s the position of the end of the head in the fly leg. The MED is really not happy with running line at the top of the loop. Everything else extends from there.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson
Answers: 0

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Hi Bernd

Difficult to measure max carry when lines are too short.
If you can send me some DT lines 120 feet long in different weights and densitet, I'll have a go. All my sinking lines are shootingheads, except my intermediate thunderbolt, and I max put with that as a shootinghead.
All my lines above a 6 weight are short headed or shootingheads these days..

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)

Return to “Flycasting”