PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Does 6 inches matter

Moderator: Paul Arden

Bmi1230_0
Answers: 0

Does 6 inches matter

Post by Bmi1230_0 »

A question,
between a 9ft #7
a 9ft 6in #7
and a 10ft #7.
What in a fishing situation would be the major issues/ differences on say a 3 fly leader set up. Using floating lines and sinking lines.

Its a question i get asked quite a lot in the shop i work and i am intrigued about different peoples view.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: Does 6 inches matter

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Bryan!

This is an interesting question and I think it depends on the circumstances. The advantages of a longer rod is greater mending capacity, longer roll casts, a longer dibble, less line on the water. Shorter rods are definitely better for playing/ landing fish.

There is some debate around which rods cast further because the longer the lever the more force it takes to rotate it. But the longer the lever the faster the tip is going for the same angular velocity. I’ve read many times that the ideal for most people is 9’-9’6. But I haven’t cast enough 10’ rods in competition to compare.

Then there is the question as to the performance of the fly rod itself. It’s very difficult to make a 10’ rod that doesn’t noticeably bounce after the stop. And there is also the question of feel, I’ve never liked the feel of any 10’ rod I’ve cast! (Actually maybe there was a 10’ Scott 6WT that I fished s few times). 9’6 I have liked for distance. But if I want to make some fast funky casts then 9’ or less I prefer. Those last bits are perhaps personal taste!

It will be interesting to know what others think.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Tangled
Answers: 0

Re: Does 6 inches matter

Post by Tangled »

All other things being equal, a 10' rod will have a higher swing weight (moment of inertia) than a shorter rod, so will likely feel heavier in use. That said, I used a 10' Salmonlogic rod a couple of weeks ago that was lovely - though it had a two-handed butt.

Return to “Flyfishing”