PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Pauls latest roll cast video

whinging pom
Answers: 0

Re: Pauls latest roll cast video

Post by whinging pom »

Paul Arden wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:00 am Hauling on a roll cast is almost a separate topic. It’s definitely “late”. With a dynamic roll it makes a huge difference. I had a bit of a check through the video when you mentioned that I was hauling on the side cast. It’s not as aggressive as I was expecting after your comment! I use a lot of “twist”.

Is your rod hand in front of your line hand when you begin hauling? It’s very common to see the haul begin when the rod is still travelling towards the line hand. This doesn’t work well at all and you need to rotate the torso first in order that the rod hand is in front of the line hand, and then haul.

Cheers, Paul
As ever Paul, thank you for the advice and tips.

My observation of your haul and description, is no doubt based upon my short haul style in comparison when im fishing, which is speeding up line on my usual weapon of choice, a 6' 2wt, by comparison yours looked 'beefed-up' of course, and doubtless, subtle and just right for what you need to achieve.

Rod hand in front....? And no Im not sure where i am starting it, the cast still seems to be rather a fast movement at present and im not yet finding the space in the action to refine positioning the late haul, No doubt i need to start the whole cast slower and create space and time to manage it...
I had never considered the torso. thanks, ive always roll cast straight on.

one last thing ( for now) Im sure in the past with an IM6 blank rod I used to roll cast and the line would be delivered aerially much like a normal forward cast, much like i see really you good casters do.
With this practice rod and a MED, ( 5wt) even trying to lift the delievery higher, it still seems to rollout on the surface ... the stopless at least kept it up just enough to get the leader straight. Is A TCR a particularly tricky blank to roll cast on... or am i regressing?! :D
many thanks
pom
The Duffer of the Brook !

Nothing is Impossible: :???: I do Nothing everyday .
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

TCR5/MED5? Yep that’s not exactly easy to roll cast. And not very positive with pull-back either IMO!

Must sleep. Early morning starts now :D

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
whinging pom

Post by whinging pom »

took a winston b2t 4wt down followed what you said previous and with torso and no problem with turn over and pull back stop :yeahhh:
Mole hill at 45 feet nay bother..
.so my arms and head can do it. Now i need to make the TXL do it
Ta
pom

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Ok, now you have pull-back with the Winston, you can try a very sharp pull-back with the TCR. I think where most struggle is that they keep or even increase the forward force in the stroke. Try underpowering the stroke and finish with pull-back. With very stiff rods it’s about the only way to make decent roll casts. You can also play around with torque twist with this combination.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Yep so it’s important to try to keep the rod in plane otherwise you create a curve. I use it for fly first presentations but also for longer Snakehead shots. I don’t know why it gives a longer PUALD shot.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
whinging pom

Post by whinging pom »

:whistle: hi paul
back to TCR and getting results but occurence rate of the successful deliveries is limited to lower range of line lengths.... at present any how
(got distracted by a backing knot that needed getting some fresh air. :( )

could you please explain the differences between torque twist and pull back, ive tried to save you some time by using various searches on the site, but not finding anything.
thanks
pom

edit :thanks just saw your reply , ill get a glass of wine at pull up a chair,Cheers

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

How on Earth is my reply before your question? :D

Flycasting Definitions
whinging pom

Post by whinging pom »

ha hahahahahah.... only on sexyloops....its the second thought and mind reading thread!

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Bizarre. At first I thought I had overwritten your post. I must have imagined it while you were typing it and posted my reply before you did :D

Flycasting Definitions
whinging pom

Post by whinging pom »

In a clearing in the jungle by the floating temple ..

Wise old master say:-" Bloody hell...... Grass hopper, its not knowing answer, ...its understanding question!" :kungfu:
..........".Is it not written ...Only very special old master :asleep: .. Give answer....... before receiving dumb student question"?!!

Just shows your on another level,.....Ill Bet Vince cant do that shit yet! :whistle:

grassshopper pom

Return to “Beginners”